+ Reply to Thread

Inconsistent results baffling

MS-Off Ver
    H&S 2021 Build 16026.20146 (& 2016 & 2019)

Unhappy Inconsistent results baffling

=IF(AD3-AD4<>J3,"!!","") is my usual type of test to flag discrepancies. Now I have a spreadsheet (converted from a *.csv file -- though that's never given me a problem before) where that formula produces inconsistent results. =IF(AD3-AD4<>J3,"!!","") reports "!!" while =IF(AD2-AD3<>J2,"!!","") reports "" even though J3 DOES equal AD3-AD4 to all appearances. Moreover, the inconsistencies persist when I isolate AD3-AD4 in its own cell and 'ask' in another cell whether that equals J3. Also, I see no pattern in the results when I copy the formula down any number of rows.
    I've exhausted my bag of tricks -- e.g., ensuring consistent, numeric formatting of all cells; converting the *.csv file once more; etc. -- and I know almost no VBA or ways to ensure the integrity of cells/spreadsheets beyond Auditing or Detect & Repair.
    Has anyone here ever seen such a thing? I will try to devise another test, to get on with my work; but I would be extremely grateful for any help.

Forum Contributor
    Hi KC,

I haven't a clue. But, I'm willing to look at it. PM me if you want my e-mail.

- Pete

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information