COUNTIF:corresponding cell

  1. #1
    Spencer Hutton
    Guest

    COUNTIF:corresponding cell

    Is there a way to get countif to calculate this expresion.
    "Count the number of cells in column A, if the corresponding cell in column
    B equals yes"
    TIA

  2. #2
    Frank Kabel
    Guest

    re: COUNTIF:corresponding cell

    Hi
    do you mean
    =SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A100<>""),--(B1:B100="yes"))

    --
    Regards
    Frank Kabel

  3. #3

    re: COUNTIF:corresponding cell

    Wouldn't that be the same count of the number of cells in B that are Yes?

    =countif(b:b,"yes")

  4. #4
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    re: COUNTIF:corresponding cell

    Why can't you just use

    =COUNTIF(B:B,"yes")

    I mean unless you have a condition that needs to be met in A the above
    should be enough, if
    there is a condition in A as well you can use

    =SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A200="condition1"),--(B1:B200="yes"))

    Peo Sjoblom

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Aladin Akyurek
    Guest

    re: COUNTIF:corresponding cell

    If there is nothing that must holds for column A itself...

    =COUNTIF(B:B,"yes")

    should suffice.

    If column A must have data while column B is "yes"...

    =SUMPRODUCT(1-ISBLANK(A2:A100),--(B2:B100="yes"))

    The latter won't admit whole column references like A:A as range
    arguments.