number formats that allow you to format the appearance of negativ.

  1. #1
    jassmon
    Guest

    number formats that allow you to format the appearance of negativ.

    I don't understand what it means to List two number formats that allow you to
    format the appearance of negative numbers using parentheses?

  2. #2
    Nick Hodge
    Guest

    Re: number formats that allow you to format the appearance of negativ.

    Jasmon

    There are up to four parts to a format in Excel, separated by ;, so

    FormatForPositive;FormatForNegative;FormatForZero;FormatForText

    So if you want two decimals and parenthesis for negatives, you could use

    0.00;(0.00);0.00

    Notice you don't need one for text so I have not included it. If you miss a
    format type then you should still include it's separator

    0.00;;0.00

    Has only set a format for positive numbers and zeroes.

    You could check help for all the options available in formatting codes and
    perhaps read here

    http://www.nickhodge.co.uk/gui/formatmenu/cells.htm

    Nick Hodge
    Microsoft MVP - Excel