Embedded chart along with DATA to powerpoint

  1. #1
    Hari Prasadh
    Guest

    Embedded chart along with DATA to powerpoint

    Hi,

    I want to paste a Chart embedded in a worksheet in to powerpoint but I want
    to have the ability to edit the chart in powerpoint. (Code will reside in
    Excel)
    Without any hesitation I stole from Jon P's site on how to effect the
    transfer.
    Just one problem. His link --
    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/XL_PPT.html#chartppt -- prefers pasting the
    chart as a picture while I want to be able to edit it within Powerpoint

    So I replaced the following line in his code
    ActiveChart.CopyPicture Appearance:=xlScreen, Size:=xlScreen, _
    Format:=xlPicture

    with this one
    ActiveChart.ChartArea.Copy

    Then I ran the code and wow I was able to get what I wanted...

    Is there any other way to do it.? (why I want to know is that I got the
    above after a lot of hit and trial, hence wanted to know other ways of
    achieving the same result. That way, in case the starting conditions are
    different I would be able to use a different method)

    Thanks a lot,
    Hari
    India

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Embedded chart along with DATA to powerpoint

    Hari -

    In the charting group I posted a link to your related question that
    tells how to update a MSGraph chart from Excel. You could probably also
    figure out how to create the MSGraph chart and populate it, so you'd
    have access to that in Ppt.

    When you paste an Excel chart into another application, you're actually
    pasting a copy of the whole workbook, which can bloat the target file
    and lead you to share information unintentionally. A trick to avoid this
    is to copy your chart and its source data into a separate workbook, so
    it has just two sheets: the chart sheet and the worksheet with data.
    Change the page setup margins of the chart sheet to get the chart as
    large as you want it in the target document, then copy the chart, switch
    apps, and paste.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

  3. #3
    Hari Prasadh
    Guest

    Re: Embedded chart along with DATA to powerpoint

    Hi Jon,

    I have now consolidated the slightly related queries/ideas in to one and
    posted in the follow up to your post in the charting group. Please go
    through the same in the charting group.

    Thanks a lot,
    Hari
    India