Custom Time Format doesn't work for me

  1. #1
    chuck
    Guest

    Custom Time Format doesn't work for me

    I have a time value residing in a database with a format of hhmm:ss.sss (e.g.
    1240:30.010) which I have imported into an excel spreadsheet. I want to
    convert this to a time value so I can do arithmetic oprations on it but I
    can't convert it properly.

    I entered a custom format of [BLUE]hhmm:ss.000;@ and applied it to an empty
    cell.
    when I enter 1240:30.010 I get a blue 2040:30.010 which represents the 1240
    minutes in hour minute format. what am I doing wrong?

    --
    czechguy

  2. #2
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: Custom Time Format doesn't work for me

    On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 16:57:02 -0800, "chuck" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I have a time value residing in a database with a format of hhmm:ss.sss (e.g.
    >1240:30.010) which I have imported into an excel spreadsheet. I want to
    >convert this to a time value so I can do arithmetic oprations on it but I
    >can't convert it properly.
    >
    >I entered a custom format of [BLUE]hhmm:ss.000;@ and applied it to an empty
    >cell.
    >when I enter 1240:30.010 I get a blue 2040:30.010 which represents the 1240
    >minutes in hour minute format. what am I doing wrong?

    Your incorrect assumption is that formatting in Excel affects how data is
    input. It does not. It only affects how data is displayed.

    One possible solution: If you could input your data as text, you could then
    use a formula to convert it. For example, with your data in A1,

    =VALUE(LEFT(A1,2)&":"&RIGHT(A1,9))

    would convert it to the proper time.

    --ron