How to convert Excel imported numbers from text to numbers?

  1. #1
    Alden
    Guest

    How to convert Excel imported numbers from text to numbers?

    We have a software package from which we can export data to MS Excel.
    However, when exported it arrives in Excel as text. Even though they are
    numbers, they act like text. The only way to convert them text to numbers is
    to edit the cell (press F2) and hit enter. I've tried every other method of
    copying and pasting (even pasting special), but nothing seems to work. Any
    ideas?

  2. #2
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: How to convert Excel imported numbers from text to numbers?

    Copy an empty cell, select the import and paste special and select add

    Peo Sjoblom

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Guest

    How to convert Excel imported numbers from text to numbers?

    Depending on the version of Excel, you should get a
    caution sign next to the cell when you highlight a number
    stored as text.
    When you put your cursor over the caution sign, it gives
    you the option to convert the number stored as text to a
    number.

    If highlight a range that has a number stored as text at
    the upper left, the convert will work for the whole range,
    but you might have to scroll back to the upper left of the
    range to see the caution sign

  4. #4
    2rrs

    Alden wrote:
    > We have a software package from which we can export data to MS Excel.

    > However, when exported it arrives in Excel as text. Even though they

    are
    > numbers, they act like text. The only way to convert them text to

    numbers is
    > to edit the cell (press F2) and hit enter. I've tried every other

    method of
    > copying and pasting (even pasting special), but nothing seems to

    work. Any
    > ideas?

    Have a look here:
    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...6d88671983a8e3

  5. #5
    Alden
    Guest

    Re: How to convert Excel imported numbers from text to numbers?

    Simple, elegant solution. Thanks for the help! You've saved me from carpal
    tunnel syndrome.

    Alden

  6. #6
    Jeff H

    Alden wrote:
    > We have a software package from which we can export data to MS Excel.

    > However, when exported it arrives in Excel as text. Even though they

    are
    > numbers, they act like text. The only way to convert them text to

    numbers is
    > to edit the cell (press F2) and hit enter. I've tried every other

    method of
    > copying and pasting (even pasting special), but nothing seems to

    work. Any
    > ideas?

    I use ASAP Utilities add in. One of its many features will change text
    numbers to numbers in a range (or do the reverse). Go here...
    http://www.asaputilities.com/

  7. #7

    Re: How to convert Excel imported numbers from text to numbers?

    Hi Peo, (pls excuse me.. ) I dont understand your "import"?? ... the rest of
    your solution is more or less the same as "Help" offers (add instead of
    multiply etc.), but it doesn't work for me... and I won't use an add'in.. as
    I don't know how that will work. I do mail you directly too..
    Bregards Jonna

  8. #8
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: How to convert Excel imported numbers from text to numbers?

    jonna

    Try this(same as Peo's but with more detail).

    Assume your range of cells that contain the exported data is A1:A10

    Format these cells as General.

    Format an empty cell as General.

    Edit>Copy that empty cell.

    Select A1:A10.

    Edit>Paste Special(in place)>Add>OK>Esc.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  9. #9

    Re: How to convert Excel imported numbers from text to numbers?

    thanks, but the real problem was that the "numbers" had an empty space in
    front. I did find out and have used functions "Left" and "Right" .. with
    sucess...
    br
    Jonna

  10. #10
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: How to convert Excel imported numbers from text to numbers?

    Thanks for the feedback Jonna.

    That was my next suggestion, but no need now.

    But, I am surprised that a simple F2 and ENTER would work if there are spaces.

    Gord