Cursor Keys does not change cell focus

  1. #1

    Cursor Keys does not change cell focus

    I use passwords to protect worksheets (leaving cells unprotected in which data is to be entered) and so I do not forget the password, I write the password in the last row of the last column (IV65536) then I protect the sheet.

    When the sheet is protected I then cannot use the cusor keys or rather the up/down/left/right arrow keys do not move the cell focus to the next cell of the unprotected cells. I can mouse click on the cell but that is a pain and I should be able to use the cursor keys. If I then delete the data in the last column/row I am still stuck with the problem. Is this an undocumented feature of excel??????

    On other spreadsheets I have protected without using the last column/row the cursor keys work fine.

  2. #2
    peterm
    Guest

    RE: Cursor Keys does not change cell focus

    I think you have to move about with the tab key oncethe sheet is protected
    it will go to the next cell to take data
    peter

  3. #3
    Peter,

    Thanks but that is not the case - in other protected sheets I can use the cursor keys to move between cells - the TAB key does not move between the cells either - the only way is is to use the mouse to select the unlocked cells. I think the significant factor is that I have placed data at some stage in the last cell of the last row in the last column. Try it - open a new spreadsheet select some cells then format cells/protection and untick LOCKED - go to AV65536 and put in some data then protect sheet - now try and move around the unlocked cells with the cursor keys or the tab keys. do the same on a new sheet except do not put data in AV65536 - protect sheet and you can move around with cursor and TAB keys.

  4. #4
    peterm
    Guest

    Re: Cursor Keys does not change cell focus

    Sorry for the delay, I picked a group of cells unticked locked , put info in
    my last cell
    IV65536 protected the sheet and can move around with arrow keys. What excel
    are you using 97 2000 or xp?

  5. #5
    Using

    XP pro