Conditional Formatting

  1. #1
    Deb
    Guest

    Conditional Formatting

    I can set conditional formatting on a cell for a specific value but is there
    a way of setting this formatting to the whole row rather than just the cell?
    Thanks

  2. #2
    Biff
    Guest

    Conditional Formatting

    Hi!

    Does that mean you want to extend the *SAME* cf to every
    cell in the row, or

    do you want to apply cf to the entire row if *ANY* cell in
    the row meets your condition?

    For the first, select the entire row. Say that is row 1.
    Cell A1 will be the active cell.

    Conditional formatting
    Formula is: =A1=whatever

    To apply cf to the entire row if any cell equals whatever.
    Select the entire row:

    Formula is: =OR(1:1=whatever)

    Biff

  3. #3
    Deb
    Guest

    RE: Conditional Formatting

    Hi

    This will probably solve the problem but I can't get it to work yet. If I
    have a row and one column might contain the word 'completed', I can format
    that column to highlight in red, for example when completed is in the cell,
    but I want the whole row to be highlighted. Do I set the conditional
    formatting to that column first and then one of your solutions? I have tried
    all varieties but none at the moment seem to work.
    Thanks for your help
    Deb

  4. #4
    Biff
    Guest

    RE: Conditional Formatting

    Hi!

    Try this exercise:

    In cell G1 enter the word "completed" without the quotes.

    Now, select the entire row by clicking on the row header,1.

    Goto Format>Conditional Formatting.
    Formula is: =OR(1:1="Completed")
    Click the Format button.
    Select whatever styles you want.
    OK out.

    All of row 1 will now be formatted to whatever style you
    selected.

    Now, clear the contents of cell G1. The formatting has
    been removed. Now, enter the word "completed" in cell A1.

    If the word "completed" appears in any cell in row 1,
    A1:IV1, the entire row (every cell) will format to the
    style you selected.

    Now, if you only want the specific cell or cells that
    contain the word "completed" to be highlighted but want to
    apply this to every cell in the row:

    Select the entire row by clicking on the row header, 1.

    Goto Format>Conditional Formatting.
    Formula is: =A1="completed"
    Click the Format button.
    Select whatever styles you want.
    OK out.

    Now, enter the word "completed" in cell G1. Now, enter the
    word "completed" in cell A1.

    Biff

  5. #5
    Deb
    Guest

    RE: Conditional Formatting

    Thanks for this. I don't think I was selecting the whole row but rather to
    the end of my data. Does it matter that the formatting goes on for ever?! It
    doesn't work if I only select to the end of the data.

  6. #6
    Biff
    Guest

    RE: Conditional Formatting

    Hi!

    If the end of your data is cell L1 why would you want to
    format cells M1:IV1? But that's what you asked for! <g>

    OK, if your data ends at cell L1:

    Hit key F5.
    In the Reference box enter M1:IV1
    Hit Enter or click OK.
    Goto Edit>Clear>Formats

    Biff

  7. #7
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Conditional Formatting

    Deb

    Select just the cells you want colored.

    Assume A1:H1

    Format>CF>Formula is: =$A1="completed"

    Note the $ sign must be entered to fix the column as A

    Pick a pattern and Ok.

    Enter completed in A1 and A1:H1 only will be formatted.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  8. #8
    Deb
    Guest

    Re: Conditional Formatting

    Thank you so much. I was obviously not clear enough with what I wanted
    originally.