+ Reply to Thread

ExcelTip.com Feedback

Forum Expert

ExcelTip.com Feedback

I have a general question:

I've noted that posters from the Microsoft forum can not see replies posted here, but that may not be the case for...other forums?

What is the general rule? Can a Guest (user not registered) read our replies from any other forum? Or should Guest threads be Read only, since they are not worth to reply?

Ola Sandstrom

Forum Expert
    MS-Off Ver
    Office 2016
    Hi Ola!

Good question. I was wondering the same thing.

I usually ignore them here and go to the MS Newsgroups to contribute. Of course, this makes it very inconvenient and somewhat frustrating having to sift through these threads.

Personally, if we can't reply and contribute to Guest threads from here, then they shouldn't be displayed here. It only serves as a nuissance, at least for me.

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010
    Hi Ola

I had just come to the realization today that my attempts to help some people were completely wasted. I was wondering why on several occasions I would post a reply and then much later someone else would post exactly the same thing but the OP only acknowledged the other person. I thought I was being ignored for some reason but now I realize it's because we're invisible to Guests (or, at least, some of them).

I don't think the Guest posts should be left out, though, because it's still informative (for me anyway) to see the solutions to the questions being asked. If the case is that some Guests can see us but others can't it would be very helpful to have some sort of labelling on a post to indicate to us which ones we can be seen to reply to.

In the meantime I'll refrain from replying to all Guests from now on.

Bill

Forum Expert
    Domenic, Bill, Thanks for your support!

Good to hear I'm not the only one who thinks about this.
    Bill I had the same experience. In the beginnning, I though my posts were ignored. Then I started to moved the pointer over each name to see if they were guests or not. And now I just look at the time. Anything <> xx:06 or xx:07 is most likely Registered users.

Actually I like to have all the other threads here. More is Searchable and compared to Microsoft, the Graphical layout is Far Better and the system is Faster. So I prefere to read the threads here.

But, I wish it would be easier to distinguish "Replyable mails" from "Read only mails" - perhaps by soft grey background color or by a customized filter or... ?

Ola

Forum Expert
    MS-Off Ver
    Office 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by olasa
    ... I wish it would be easier to distinguish "Replyable mails" from "Read only mails" - perhaps by soft grey background color or by a customized filter or... ?
    Yes, I agree. Preferably by customized filter so that one doesn't have to sift through the threads manually.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information