Show quarters and years on x axis of a chart

  1. #1
    Kacee
    Guest

    Show quarters and years on x axis of a chart

    Hi,

    I have a chart that I want to show both the quarters and years so that I
    have 1234123412341234 with the corresponding year below each group.

    At the moment it is just showing 123456789101112. Any ideas of how this
    could be done

  2. #2
    John Mansfield
    Guest

    RE: Show quarters and years on x axis of a chart

    Kacee,

    If you are using Excel 2000 or higher, as an example try setting you data up
    like this (this example assumes "2000" is in cell A2 and the title "Data" is
    in cell C1):

    Data
    2000 1 5
    2 4
    3 5
    4 6
    2001 1 7
    2 6
    3 5
    4 4

    Make sure that the years in column A and the quarters in column B are
    formatted as text.

    A further explanation can be found here:

    http://www.pdbook.com/index.php/exce...ory_groupings/

    ----
    Regards,
    John Mansfield
    http://www.pdbook.com

  3. #3
    Kacee
    Guest

    RE: Show quarters and years on x axis of a chart

    Thanks for the reply,

    Will this work on a scatter graph, as again I still get the 123456......

  4. #4
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Show quarters and years on x axis of a chart

    This will not work on a scatter chart, but make a line chart, then format the series
    to have markers but not lines. Looks the same, eh?

    To make sure Excel does the category axis the way you want, make sure you have a
    label where John has "Data", and the two cells left of that label must be blank.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services