formatting cells with formulas?

  1. #1
    Jim
    Guest

    formatting cells with formulas?

    Is there a way to format cells with formulas automatically, so that they
    stand out? I have a large spreadsheet that needs to be updated, but I don't
    want to accidentally remove a formula within a cell.

    thanks.

  2. #2
    Ron de Bruin
    Guest

    Re: formatting cells with formulas?

    Hi Jim

    One way

    F5
    Special
    Mark Formulas
    OK
    Add a red fill color for example now to the selection

    --
    Regards Ron de Bruin
    http://www.rondebruin.nl

  3. #3
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: formatting cells with formulas?

    Jim

    Paste this UDF to a general module in your workbook.

    Function IsFormula(Cell)
    Application.Volatile
    IsFormula = Cell.HasFormula
    End Function

    Select your used range of cells, say A1:M123

    Format>Conditional Formatting>Formula is: =IsFormula(A1)

    Pick a pattern and OK your way out.

    If not familiar with VBA and macros, see David McRitchie's site for more on
    "getting started".

    In the meantime..........

    First...create a backup copy of your original workbook.

    To create a General Module, hit ALT + F11 to open the Visual Basic Editor.

    Hit CRTL + R to open Project Explorer.

    Find your workbook/project and select it.

    Right-click and Insert>Module. Paste the code in there. Save the
    workbook and hit ALT + Q to return to your workbook.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  4. #4
    Jim
    Guest

    Re: formatting cells with formulas?

    Gord,

    thanks so much for the quick reply. Unfortunately I'm not familiar with VBA
    or macros yet, though I really want to learn about them. I will check out
    the McRitchie site ASAP. I'm so impressed by the level of expertise here - I
    feel like the proverbial village idiot! Thanks again!

  5. #5
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: formatting cells with formulas?

    Jim

    If you're going to be a frequent user of Excel it would be in your best
    interest to look into VBA functions and macros.

    Makes Excel life sooooooo much easier.

    David's site is a good place to start. There are also some great links on his
    site.

    But.........the F5>Special>Formulas will work fine also.

    Gord