Can't open existing files by double-clicking.

  1. #1
    Kirby
    Guest

    Can't open existing files by double-clicking.

    I'm running Office 2000 and recently have found that double-clicking on an
    existing Excel file won't open the file, it only opens the Personal
    Worksheet, but I can open the file using File Open. I thought this might be
    related to the fact I'm getting low on resources errors when I run Word, even
    thought I have 512Mb of RAM and no other applications open.

  2. #2

    Re: Can't open existing files by double-clicking.

    Sometimes one of these works:

    Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it)

    --- or ---

    Close Excel and
    Windows Start Button|Run
    excel /unregserver
    then
    Windows Start Button|Run
    excel /regserver

    factory defaults.

  3. #3
    Kirby
    Guest

    Re: Can't open existing files by double-clicking.

    Unchecking Ignore other applications solved it. Thanks.

  4. #4
    Rickettsjt
    Guest

    Re: Can't open existing files by double-clicking.

    Dave,

    I'm having the same problem, but I can't get into Excel, the program will
    not open, Ive tried reinstalling Office and still no go. What do you
    suggest? TJ

  5. #5

    Re: Can't open existing files by double-clicking.

    Can you get into excel in safe mode?

    windows start button|Run
    excel /safe

    If that works, here are a couple of sites that explain how to troubleshoot this.

    Chip Pearson's:

    Jan Karel Pieterse's:
    http://www.jkp-ads.com/Articles/StartupProblems.htm