Excel documents don't open when double-clicking them.

  1. #1
    Joe F.
    Guest

    Excel documents don't open when double-clicking them.

    One of my users can only open Excel files if she opens Excel first then
    File/Open command. When she open the document directly on desktop or
    networkshare or wherever, Excel opens but does not display the document.

    Please respond. Thanks for your time.

    JF
    DTI
    Calif.

  2. #2
    Andy B
    Guest

    Re: Excel documents don't open when double-clicking them.

    Hi

    Check Tools|Options|General and make sure that Ignore other applications is
    unticked.

    Andy

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Excel documents don't open when double-clicking them.

    Joe

    Tools>Options>General uncheck "Ignore other Applications"
    Exit Excel and try again.

    If this doesn't work try to re-register Excel

    Close Excel first and
    On the Windows Taskbar

    1) Start>Run "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)>OK.
    2) Start>Run "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)>OK.
    See the space between exe and /regserver

    You might have to designate a full path to excel.exe.
    In that case Start>Run "C:\yourpath\excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)>OK.

    One more thing to try if any of the above brings no joy.........

    Go to Start>Settings>Folder>Options>File Types. Scroll down to MS Excel
    Worksheet. Then if running Win98 OS Edit> select "Open" and Edit.

    If using WinXP OS you would scroll down to .XLS then "Advanced">Open>Edit.

    In Command line the path should be similar to this....

    "C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT OFFICE\OFFICE\EXCEL.EXE" /e (delete the <sp>/e if
    you want Book1 to open.

    You must have the double quotes.

    Below have "use DDE" checked and this in the DDE message box....[open("%1")]

    Application should read "Excel"(no quotes)

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP