Why can't I embed a button on a chart in Excel 2003?

  1. #1
    JB
    Guest

    Why can't I embed a button on a chart in Excel 2003?

    In Office Excel 2003 (11.6355.6360) SP1 I am trying to put a command button
    and a couple of radio buttons on a chart. I cannot select any of the
    controls on the Control Toobox as I can in Excel 2000.

  2. #2
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: Why can't I embed a button on a chart in Excel 2003?

    Hi,

    You can not embed Active X controls within a chart and or chartsheet.
    You can however use the controls from the Forms toolbox.

    Cheers
    Andy

    --

    Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
    http://www.andypope.info

  3. #3
    Ewan
    Guest

    Re: Why can't I embed a button on a chart in Excel 2003?

    Thanks. I know that it can be done in Excel 2000 so I would assume that they
    have removed this feature for a reason. Any ideas?

  4. #4
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: Why can't I embed a button on a chart in Excel 2003?

    No, you couldn't do it in xl2000 either. Check the controls I think you
    will either find them to be from the Forms toolbox or not embedded
    within the chart object if its a chart on a worksheet.

    Cheers
    Andy

  5. #5
    Tushar Mehta
    Guest

    Re: Why can't I embed a button on a chart in Excel 2003?

    Well, one can always put the ActiveX control on the sheet, position it
    so that it appears on top of the chart, and then group the two
    together. However, in this case, you will need to access the chart
    through a somewhat more complex method. The foll. works for a
    commandbutton:

    Option Explicit

    Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
    With Me.Shapes(1).GroupItems(1).OLEFormat.Object.Chart
    .HasTitle = True
    .ChartTitle.Text = Format(Now(), "hh:mm:ss")
    End With
    End Sub

    How did I figure out the heirarchy? By stepping through the object
    model as below. Hint: start at the bottom and work your way up.

    ?typename(me.shapes(1).GroupItems(1).OLEFormat.Object.chart)
    Chart
    ?typename(me.shapes(1).GroupItems(1).OLEFormat.Object)
    ChartObject
    ?typename(me.shapes(1).GroupItems(1).OLEFormat)
    OLEFormat
    ?typename(me.shapes(1).GroupItems(1))
    Shape
    ?me.Shapes(1).GroupItems.Count