cell to change color =IF(B7>53,"Critical","Normal")

  1. #1
    fgiord
    Guest

    cell to change color =IF(B7>53,"Critical","Normal")

    I need to have a cell change color or flash when the water level reaches a
    certain critical depth on a pumping spreadsheet so the operator is aware of a
    problem!

  2. #2
    Forum Expert swatsp0p's Avatar
    Kentucky, USA
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010
    Posts
    1,545
    To change the background color of your desired cell: select that cell then click Tools>Conditional Formatting... on the main menu.

    In the Conditional Formatting dialog box that opens, choose Formula Is: and enter this in the formula line:

    =B7>53

    click on the Format button, click on the Patterns tab and choose your desired fill color (with Red fill I also like to change the font color to Yellow and make it Bold-use the Font tab for this).

    click OK twice to exit the CF box.

    now, whenever B7 exceeds 53, your cell will change to your selected format.

    HTH

    Bruce
    Bruce
    The older I get, the better I used to be.
    USA

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: cell to change color =IF(B7>53,"Critical","Normal")

    Select the cells.
    Got to Format>Conditional Formatting
    Set the condition to greater than 53
    Click Format
    Select Palette tab
    Choose a colour
    OK
    OK

    RP

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: cell to change color =IF(B7>53,"Critical","Normal")

    You can use Conditional Formatting, and set it so *both* B7 *and* the cell
    containing your IF() formula will change color, so that the number in B7 >
    53 and the text "Critical" will highlight.

    Click in B7, hold down <Ctrl>, and click in the cell containing your IF()
    formula, then:

    <Format> <ConditionalFormat>

    Click "Formula Is", and enter this in the formula box:

    =$B$7>53

    Then click on "Format", and maybe set the Pattern to red and the Font to
    bold and bright yellow, then <OK> <OK>.
    --
    HTH,

    RD