How can perform a summation?

  1. #1

    How can perform a summation?

    Is there a way to perform a summation expression in Excel?

    For example, I need to sum 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5. I can easily type 1 through 5 in five cells and use the SUM function but what if I need to not sum 1 to 5, but rather 1 to n. Is there a summation function in Excel that could perform this calculation?

  2. #2
    Alok
    Guest

    RE: How can perform a summation?

    The formula for that is n*(n+1)/2. So if the number you want to sum till is
    in A1 and you want the reult in cell B1 then in cell B1 you will enter the
    formula =A1*(A1+1)/2

    Alok

  3. #3
    DaveB
    Guest

    RE: How can perform a summation?

    That is assuming the numbers are in consecutive order. I know that's the way
    the example stated but if your actual data isn't in consecutive order use the
    following formula:

    Assume your list of numbers is in A1:A1000 and your "n" value (how far down
    you want to sum) is in B1. Enter this formula in any cell:

    =SUM(OFFSET(A1,,,B1))

    Dave

  4. #4
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: How can perform a summation?

    FWIW,

    Might be of interest.

    Originator of this arithmetic series formula (Gauss as a school boy):

    http://mathworld.wolfram.com/ArithmeticSeries.html

    Read the short paragraph at the end.<g>

    RD

    "Leebo" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Thanks. Both responses are helpful. The link to the Gauss writeup was exactly what I was looking for.

    Sn=1/2n(a1+an)

    So, if I have consequtive integers from A1 to An, I don't need to key a column of numbers to add up. Instead, just list the first and last number, then use this formula.

    If A1 = 1, B1 = 5

    C1 = A2*(A1+A2)/2

    then

    C1 = 15