Pivot Table Grouping (Excel 2000)- This has to be simple

  1. #1
    uncoolfester
    Guest

    Pivot Table Grouping (Excel 2000)- This has to be simple

    I want to count the number of events that occur in 10 minute increments over
    a period of days. I can easily count count the number of events, but the
    default is for each minute and I don't see any way to change it to 10 minute
    increments? Is this possible? Any help is appreciated.

  2. #2
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Pivot Table Grouping (Excel 2000)- This has to be simple

    You could add a column to your source data, with the formula:

    =MINUTE(A2)

    where Time is in column A.

    Add the new field to your pivot table, and group on it.

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

  3. #3
    Fred
    Guest

    Re: Pivot Table Grouping (Excel 2000)- This has to be simple

    I think this way you will still group by minute.

    If you use FLOOR(MINUTE(A2)/10) it will retur0 for the minutes 0 to 9; 1 for
    the minutes 10 to 19 and so on. Run your pivot table grouping for this column
    and your data will be sorted by ten minutes interval.

    If your sample is more than one hour long you may want to do:
    CONCATENATE(HOUR(A2);":";FLOOR(MINUTE(A2)/10)) instead as yor grouping column

  4. #4
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Pivot Table Grouping (Excel 2000)- This has to be simple

    The MINUTE formula will return a number between 0 and 60, and the
    numbers can be grouped by 10, or any interval.

  5. #5
    uncoolfester
    Guest

    Re: Pivot Table Grouping (Excel 2000)- This has to be simple

    Fred & Debra,
    Thanks for the replies, you are getting me on track. For the benefit of
    others that may have read this, the syntax for the Floor function is
    FLOOR(MINUTE(A2),10).

    Is there an easy way to just round a date/time value into 10 minute
    increments then in the data sheet....for example my cell contains
    "7/25/2004 2:21:10 PM" which I would want to read round to "7/25/2004
    2:20:00 PM". Each date/time would be rounded to the nearest 10 minute
    increment??

  6. #6
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Pivot Table Grouping (Excel 2000)- This has to be simple

    To the nearest 10th minute use

    =ROUND(A1*144,0)/144

    where A1 holds the date/time

    Peo Sjoblom