Complicated counting of cells (based on other cells contents)

  1. #1
    George
    Guest

    Complicated counting of cells (based on other cells contents)

    Hi,

    I'm looking to count the number of cells in a column based on the content in
    that cell and the content of another cell.

    Column 1 has three possible values (GGF, CGF, SGF) as text.
    Column 2 has two possible values (Yes, No) as text.
    Column 3 has two possible values (Pass, Fail) as text.

    I need to be able to make several counts based on the first column,
    referencing the other two columns. I'm going to use three different cells to
    display each count to simplify the formulas and to ease reading.

    Could someone please help me work the formula out to count the number of
    cells in column 1 with the value "GGF" when the value of column 2 is "No".
    I'd also like some pointers on how to work out how many cells have "GGF" and
    "Pass"/"Fail".

    The problem I'm hitting at the moment (I think) is that I need to be
    flexible (I don't know how many rows are in the column) and using $C:$C (for
    instance) seems to be messing up the count.

    I've tried:

    =COUNT(IF(($C:$C="GGF") & ($G:$G="No), 1, 0))

    but that doesn't seem to cut the mustard so to speak.

    Any pointers would be a great help to someone in need of some brain soothing
    after trying to make Excel do this :-)

    Thanks
    George

  2. #2
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    RE: Complicated counting of cells (based on other cells contents)

    modify as needed to get all your permutations

    =SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A1000="GGF"),--(B1:B1000="No"))

    or, for all 3 columns

    =SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A1000="GGF"),--(B1:B1000="No"), --(C1:c1000="Pass"))

  3. #3
    ConstructionGuy
    Guest

    RE: Complicated counting of cells (based on other cells contents)

    was does the --- represent? I think this solves my prioblem also!

  4. #4
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Complicated counting of cells (based on other cells contents)

    See http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.SUMPRODUCT.html

    RP

    "ConstructionGuy" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...