how to produce horizontal line chart of point est & 95% ci's

  1. #1
    w98user
    Guest

    how to produce horizontal line chart of point est & 95% ci's

    hello there,

    would appreciate help and advice to help me.

    i have six columns of data. the first column is a string variable, the
    second and third columns are numerical variables (year, population size n).
    these first three columns would be my y-axis on the left. if it would help
    make it easier, then i can combine these three columns into one column (e.g.
    arthur 1999 30,000) . the fourth, fifth and sixth columns are lower limit of
    the point estimate's 95% confidence interval, point estimates itself and the
    upper limit of 95% confidence interval (e.g. 0.32(0.51)0.73). these last
    columns' values would be my x-axis e.g. 0 - 0.8.

    i would like to be able to produce line chart where the point estimate is
    represented by e.g. a dot with a horizontal line running through it and where
    the horizontal line represents the 95% confidence interval limit. ideally too
    i would like the dot to be able to be 'weighted' e.g. corresponding
    proportionately to the size of the population.

    i tried using chart wizard and custom but somehow could not even get
    anywhere near the results that i wanted. so any help, advice and suggestion
    would be appreciated.

    when i searched the knowledge base, the nearest post that comes to my
    requirement was entitled 'forest plots' but it did not contain suggestions
    that i might be able to use. i have also tried excellent jon peltier sites
    but did not find pointers there as well that i could use.

    i am using w98se with office97 but push come to shove, i can find wxp pro
    sp2 and office xp.

    again thank you for help, advice and suggestions that would help me.

    kind regards,
    josh

  2. #2
    Ed Ferrero
    Guest

    Re: how to produce horizontal line chart of point est & 95% ci's

    Hi w98user,

    You might have a look at 'Forest Plots' at
    http://edferrero.m6.net/charting.aspx

    Ed Ferrero
    http://edferrero.m6.net/

  3. #3
    w98user
    Guest

    Re: how to produce horizontal line chart of point est & 95% ci's

    hello ed,

    thanks for your response. i saw your input within the 'forest plots'
    posting. at first glance, at the time, i didn't think it would meet my
    requirement but let me have a go at your set-up to see whether it can be
    modified to suit my need. will let you know in due course.

    of course any other suggestions (yours or others) are still welcome.

    thank you again.

    regards,