Excel's Compress Pictures or deleting pictures doesn't seem work

  1. #1
    guidod
    Guest

    Excel's Compress Pictures or deleting pictures doesn't seem work

    Adding images to an excel workbook (specifically, dragging GIFs from IE,
    don't know if it also happens with File > Insert) always increases the XLS
    filesize. Deleting images, however, doesn't reduce the XLS file size at all.

    Compress pictures doesn't either reduce filesize nor visibly compress the
    images.

    As a concrete example, I type monthly statistics info in an XLS sheet,
    removing the old info each month. I drag (or copy-paste, the same) a chart
    from a web application to the worksheet, and delete the previous month's
    image. This incrementally doubles the XLS file size every month, even though
    the final number of images is always the same and all images are simple GIF
    charts, i.e. all have same sizes month-to-month:

    First month: ~30kb
    Second month: ~70kb
    Third month: 140kb

    I'm already at about 300kb unless I manually start from a copy of the first
    month (the one that is 30kb) so as to get a 70kb file instead of starting
    from the last version of the file (which would again duplicate the size).

    ----------------
    click "I Agree" in the message pane.

  2. #2
    Shailesh Shah
    Guest

    Re: Excel's Compress Pictures or deleting pictures doesn't seem work

    Hi Guidod,

    Try "File Sizer" com-addins for excel-2000+ from below site for reduction in
    file size.

    http://in.geocities.com/shahshaileshs/

    > Compress pictures doesn't either reduce filesize nor visibly compress the
    > images.

    It does reduce file size. Set resolution to web screen from Picture
    Toolbar's compress setting.

    Regards,
    Shailesh Shah
    http://in.geocities.com/shahshaileshs/
    (Excel Add-ins Page)

    guidod <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Adding images to an excel workbook (specifically, dragging GIFs from IE,
    > don't know if it also happens with File > Insert) always increases the XLS
    > filesize. Deleting images, however, doesn't reduce the XLS file size at

    all.

    > Compress pictures doesn't either reduce filesize nor visibly compress the
    > images.
    >
    > As a concrete example, I type monthly statistics info in an XLS sheet,
    > removing the old info each month. I drag (or copy-paste, the same) a chart
    > from a web application to the worksheet, and delete the previous month's
    > image. This incrementally doubles the XLS file size every month, even

    though
    > the final number of images is always the same and all images are simple

    GIF
    > charts, i.e. all have same sizes month-to-month:
    >
    > First month: ~30kb
    > Second month: ~70kb
    > Third month: 140kb
    >
    > I'm already at about 300kb unless I manually start from a copy of the

    first
    > month (the one that is 30kb) so as to get a 70kb file instead of starting
    > from the last version of the file (which would again duplicate the size).

    this
    > click "I Agree" in the message pane.

    http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...id=5b2b8571-69
    9e-4980-8946-ccb997f00904&dg=microsoft.public.excel.misc