converting text to negative numbers!

  1. #1
    Forum Contributor

    converting text to negative numbers!

    hi all!

    while importing data from .dat file, i have a column of data mixed with numbers and text (actually they are negative numbers in the original .dat file) as under:

    300-
    1110-
    70-

    i want to convert the text (numbers) ending with "-" as negative numbers such as

    -300
    -1110
    -70

    any help?

    -via135

  2. #2

    Re: converting text to negative numbers!

    Dana DeLouis posted this:

    Sub TrailingMinus()
    ' = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
    ' Use of CDbl suggested by Peter Surcouf
    ' Program by Dana DeLouis, [email protected]
    ' = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
    Dim rng As Range
    Dim bigrng As Range

    On Error Resume Next
    Set bigrng = Cells.SpecialCells(xlConstants, xlTextValues).Cells
    If bigrng Is Nothing Then Exit Sub

    For Each rng In bigrng.Cells
    rng = CDbl(rng)
    Next

  3. #3
    Forum Expert Ron Coderre's Avatar
    Boston, Massachusetts
    MS-Off Ver
    2013, 2016, O365
    Posts
    6,996
    In Excel 2002, you can do this:

    Select the range you want converted from text to numbers
    Data>Text-to-Columns
    Click the [Next] button twice
    Click the [Advanced..] button (on Step 3 of 3)
    Check: Trailing minus for negative numbers
    Click the [OK] button
    Click the [Finish] button

    Something you can use?

    Regards,
    Ron

  4. #4
    Forum Contributor

    text to negative numbers!

    sorry Dave!
    i accept i am completely new to VB code!

    yes RON..! while importing from a .dat file, i am getting a mix repeat mix of "numbers" and "numbers formatted in text" as given in my example (100- , 200- , 300-). i want only those numbers to be converted to negative numbers!

    thks!

    -via135

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Coderre

  5. #5
    Forum Contributor

    converting text to negative numbers!

    remainding again for help???!!!

    -via135

    Quote Originally Posted by via135

  6. #6
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    Re: converting text to negative numbers!

    I wasn't sure from your post whether you'd solved the problem or not.

    >i am getting a mix _repeat_ mix of "numbers" and "numbers formatted in text" <

    You should be able to use the Text_to_Columns solution that I posted on the
    whole column range that includes numbers and numbers formatted as text. The
    numeric values will be unaffected while the numbers formatted as text
    (including those with trailing minus signs) will be properly converted to
    numeric values.

    Does that help?

    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP-Pro

  7. #7
    Forum Contributor

    text to negative numbers!

    thks RON!

    i never thought the TTC will take care of the trailing "minus" also!!!
    problem solved!!
    thks!

    -via135