calculate time for employees in 24 hour operation

  1. #1
    HoweRich
    Guest

    calculate time for employees in 24 hour operation

    We are using the Aloha POS in our restaurant. The POS has a time clock
    funtion as part of the operating system. Each employee clocks in and out for
    their shift worked. Aloha stores all the punches for each employee in our 24
    hour restaurant. At the end of the pay period I export a Coconut Code file
    (.txt ) out to a Excel work book. This workbook will calcuate the hours
    worked for each shift and give the total hours worked for the pay period in a
    transmittal form to our accountant. The problem I am having. I have not been
    able to write a formula that checks and calculates the hours worked for the
    employess that work the overnight shift. Example : Clock in at 23:00 and
    Clock out at 06:00. The hours worked should be 7:00. Excel gives me a #######
    error because it is giving a negative time. This formula should be able to
    work on all the times not just the overnight times.

  2. #2
    Forum Expert daddylonglegs's Avatar
    England
    MS-Off Ver
    14,675
    With start time in A1 and end time in B1 either

    =B1-A1+(A1>B1)

    or

    =MOD(B1-A1,1)

  3. #3
    Toppers
    Guest

    RE: calculate time for employees in 24 hour operation

    Assume start time in A1 and finish time in B1 and formatted as h:mm, the
    hours worked in (say) c1 is calculated using:

    =MOD(B1-A1,1)

    HTH

  4. #4
    Forum Moderator Leith Ross's Avatar
    San Francisco, Ca
    MS-Off Ver
    2000, 2003, & 2010
    Posts
    23,258
    Hello HoweRich,

    You can use an IF statement to return the correct number of hours in any case.
    =IF(StartTime<=StopTime, StopTime-StartTime, 24 -StartTime+StopTime)

    Or using cells A1 for StartTime and B1 for StopTime...
    =If(A1<=B1, B1-A1, 24-A1+B1)

    Remeber to set the cell formats to 24 hour time.

    Sincerely,
    Leith Ross