Can you put two functions in one cell?

  1. #1
    daduce_2
    Guest

    Can you put two functions in one cell?

    I am trying to get one cell to add hours worked, and if over 40 hours, add
    the number of hours to that cell. The only way I can see to do it is to have
    2 functions in one cell. Is this possible?

  2. #2
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: Can you put two functions in one cell?

    On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 19:06:31 -0800, "daduce_2"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I am trying to get one cell to add hours worked, and if over 40 hours, add
    >the number of hours to that cell. The only way I can see to do it is to have
    >2 functions in one cell. Is this possible?

    What do you want to have show in the cell if there are 40 or fewer hours?

    If you just want to count overtime hours, then

    =MAX(0,Hrs_Worked - 40)

    You can format to not show the zero, if you wish.

    --ron

  3. #3
    daduce_2
    Guest

    Re: Can you put two functions in one cell?

    Yes, your right I left that part out. Can you get the same cell to put
    overtime hours or if less than 40, put those hours also.
    Thanx for the response
    chris

  4. #4
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: Can you put two functions in one cell?

    On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 03:08:28 -0800, "daduce_2"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Yes, your right I left that part out. Can you get the same cell to put
    >overtime hours or if less than 40, put those hours also.
    >Thanx for the response
    >chris
    >
    >"Ron Rosenfeld" wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 19:06:31 -0800, "daduce_2"
    >> <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I am trying to get one cell to add hours worked, and if over 40 hours, add
    >> >the number of hours to that cell. The only way I can see to do it is to have
    >> >2 functions in one cell. Is this possible?

    >> What do you want to have show in the cell if there are 40 or fewer hours?
    >>
    >> If you just want to count overtime hours, then
    >>
    >> =MAX(0,Hrs_Worked - 40)
    >>
    >> You can format to not show the zero, if you wish.
    >>

    >> --ron

    Well, you could do something like:

    =IF(Hrs_Worked>40, Hrs_Worked-40, Hrs_Worked)

    but how would you know if the number being displayed was the regular time or
    the overtime hours. IOW, how would you want to differentiate between the
    person who worked 20 hrs and the person who worked 60 hrs. Using your
    specifications, the cell would show 20 in both instances.

    --ron