Function giving a result for number within a range

  1. #1

    Function giving a result for number within a range

    Hi,

    I'm very new to using functions within Excel and I'd like some help
    from anyone willing to bear with me. I would like to set up a
    spreadsheet where I can enter a number, and based on where that number
    falls within set ranges, I would end up with a preset result. For
    example:

    An entry of "0.85" would fall into the range of "0 - 0.99." That range
    would have "0.20" as a result for any number falling within it. There
    would be multiple sets of ranges, about 10.

    I hope I am explaining this ok. Let me know if you can help!

    -Nick

  2. #2
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: Function giving a result for number within a range

    Hi Nick.....
    There is a standard feature in Excel that will do exactly as you wish. It's
    called VLOOKUP. First thing you would do is make a list down a column
    starting with zero in say L1 and if you're using .01 increments, then use
    1.00 in L2, and say go up from there to .01 ABOVE your cutoff point in each
    case.....and then put the value you wish to retrieve in column M adjacent to
    each value, but at the LOWER end of each range.
    say L1 = 0
    L2 = 1
    M1= .20
    M2=whatever, for the next increment........

    Then assuming your "entry" number would be in A1, put this formula in B1 or
    wherever you wish...

    =VLOOKUP(A1,L:M,2,TRUE)

    If you have trouble, post back and someone will help.....

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3

    Re: Function giving a result for number within a range

    Worked just as I wanted it to. Thanks!

  4. #4
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: Function giving a result for number within a range

    Youre quite wecome......glad to be of help.......thanks for the
    feedback.....