EXCEL file corruption

  1. #1
    Dean
    Guest

    EXCEL file corruption

    I have asked this question on another forum but there was no magic answers for me, so I am trying it here - I am desperate, as the file in question represents months of work!

    I have a 10 MB file I have been expanding/refining over the last few months. Last week, in the middle of mere cosmetic upgrading, it crashed. Apparently, EXCEL now goes into a repair mode when that happens. Here is the message I got:

    Microsoft Excel File Repair Log. Errors were detected in file 'C:\Documents and Settings\Dean\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\PM 03-02 - 4 (version 2).xls'. The following is a list of repairs: Lost Data Validation information in one or more sheets.Damage to the file was so extensive that repairs were not possible. Excel attempted to recover your formulas and values, but some data may have been lost or corrupted.
    The "repaired" file looked like (and acts like) a version I had (fortunately) saved just seven minutes earlier, except that all cosmetics had been wiped out, such as fonts, data validation choices, etc - not to mention extensive cell comments. If I change a few inputs, both files still produce identical results. Unfortunately, if I were to use the repaired file and redo the cosmetics, it would be many, many hours of work. Also, the error message above suggests it might still have corruption in it, so I'm not sure what I would gain.

    Over the years, this happened to me twice with two different files. The first time, my file needed to be rebuilt from scratch. By the second time, EXCEL had some sort of manual algorithm that peeled back the onion until there was no longer any evidence of corruption. As it turned out, the thing that seemed to fix it was the removal of some sort of cell formatting. Now, EXCEL tries to repair the file automatically. In this case, I guess it is telling me it cannot guarantee success.

    Given that fact, it seems silly to think of using the repaired file, when I have a working file just seven minutes earlier. However, regardless of which file I would use, there is an issue of how such corruption takes hold. Is it a one time spontaneous event, and if so, is it likely to recur? In the past two times, it did not recur, which made it seem pretty random! If it is not a one time event, but rather some sort of 'cumulative corruption' (the straw broke the camel's back), what confidence can I have that the results are correct? Also, how comfortable can I be in my strong belief that the corruption is limited to cosmetics, and that the equations are not compromised?

    Is there a max EXCEL file size that is too big to be stable? Long ago, when this first happened, someone at Microsoft, off the record, gave me a file size number but I forget it. I recall he said that EXCEL was not a programming language and people were asking too much of it, sometimes, vis-a-vis monstrous, interconnected logic in files, etc. The fact that EXCEL can now do so much it couldn't do a decade ago, it doesn't seem that Microsoft is concerned, either that, or the architecture is so much improved.

    I know these are hard questions and the last guy basically told me to use my own judgment, but if there is any research/info/experience out there, I would love to hear of it.

    Thanks so much!

    Dean

  2. #2
    NickHK
    Guest

    Re: EXCEL file corruption

    Dean,
    People have mentioned success with opening the corrupt Excel file in
    OpenOffice, then resaving.

    NickHK

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Dean
    Guest

    Re: EXCEL file corruption

    Unless there is a remnant saved somewhere, before the automatic attempt at
    repair, I don't think I had the choice to save or open the corrupt file. It
    automatically tried to repair it and, in doing so, it removed all
    formatting.

    As I've said, I have a near final version, saved 7 minutes before the crash
    and it 'seems' to work fine. So the problem is not recovering the file.
    It's trying to understand what led to its corruption and whether some of
    that may exist in the prior version(s). I am concerned about latent
    corruption that could have been growing in the file for a while and could be
    (maybe even was, before the crash) compromising the results.

    I'm really trying to understand what usually corrupts EXCEL files (e.g.,
    only cosmetics, not hairy equations) and what the impact might be (perhaps,
    wiping out cosmetics only, not equations and/or data).

    Thanks for your response. Please don't give up on me yet, everyone!

    Dean

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Peter T
    Guest

    Re: EXCEL file corruption

    Hi Dean,

    A possibility might be if your wb has many unique cell formats, Red + bold +
    font.size 12 + right border is a unique format. In your large wb, have
    sheets been copied from other wb's. If the Normal styles in source &
    destination wb's are not same a new bunch of unique formats can get added.
    The limit is about 3,000 which sounds a lot but it's surprisingly easy to
    reach. Normally a warning message should advise but it doesn't always and
    then it's too late.

    Regards,
    Peter T

  5. #5
    Dean
    Guest

    Re: EXCEL file corruption

    I don't recall how I created some of this but it may have legacy to other
    workbooks created by another author at a different company. I am also
    starting to become aware that it may be best to do formats in blocks, as
    much as possible and I didn't do that, in many cases, especially having to
    do with borders, where I often fixed one or two cells here and there.

    This is starting to sound like a credible explanation . If the corruption
    is of this type, is it pretty obvious that only the formats will be
    corrupted (a knowable disaster I could live with), not the equations (an
    unknowable disaster I could not live with)?

    Thanks so much!
    Dean

    news:%[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Peter T
    Guest

    Re: EXCEL file corruption

    Hi Dean

    > This is starting to sound like a credible explanation .

    Might be credible but no guarantee it's correct!

    > If the corruption
    > is of this type, is it pretty obvious that only the formats will be
    > corrupted

    Could be too late by that stage, ie not possible to re-open the file, keep
    Nick's suggestion about OpenOffice in reserve.

    Might be worth deleting custom styles if you have loads. Also apply
    "consistent" formatting throughout. A reduction in file size after doing
    that would be indicative.

    Regards,
    Peter T

  7. #7
    Dean
    Guest

    Re: EXCEL file corruption

    << Might be credible but no guarantee it's correct!>

    Yes, this is a good point, Peter, since:

    In my case, I can open a file that I saved 7 minutes earlier and I know
    that, in those 7 minutes, I just did a lot of minor cell formatting. When I
    went back and got that working file (after the crash), I tried to re-enact
    those 7 minutes of changes (might have been done slightly differently), plus
    some further stuff, and there was no problem thereafter, nor now. If I had
    been on a hairy edge of too much formatting, I should be seeing similar
    symptoms now, right? I don't. Or is it possible that, if you are doing a
    lot of copying and pasting, EXCEL can just get confused (for example, if you
    hit escape, or your computer is overloaded with other programs running) and
    cause the file to self corrupt? Could this have anything to do with the
    EXCEL program, rather than the file, being the source of that behavior, or
    would EXCEL not have launched into the 'repair the file" mode, if such were
    the case?

    Just to belabor the point, I assume hairy equations, which I have many of,
    take up more MB than oodles of data (which I have little of) - is that
    right? Still, though a reduction in file size (after cleaning up
    formatting) might be a good sign, I am getting the hints that my little 10
    MB file is peanuts compared to many files used 'out there' with apparent
    success. Is that true?

    Nobody has addressed the automatic repair cycle EXCEL went into, before
    delivering me a file that was devoid of all formatting. Is this the
    expected mode if a file fails while you are in the middle of working on it?
    Is this different from the corruption that most people see where they have
    saved a file, but then can't even open it. My scenario did not happen in
    that latter manner.

    I have done pretty extensive comparisons between the repaired file and the
    7-minute older file and the results are always the same, for a variety of
    scenarios, a virtual impossibility if EXCEL's repair actually did compromise
    the computational integrity. I suppose both files could have the same
    compromised integrity (which would worry me) but, if so, it could have been
    there months ago. What do you think of that possibility?

    Thanks!

  8. #8
    Peter T
    Guest

    Re: EXCEL file corruption

    Hi Dean,

    You've asked a lot of reasonable questions but afraid I can't answer any!
    Except perhaps to say I agree that formulas tend to consume more file size
    than data.

    I also agree with your un-scientific remark about Excel sometimes getting
    confused. The only experience I have of corrupted files is after repeatedly
    with code applying & deleting many formats, though at all times I was under
    the rough 3,000 limit and didn't get a warning. Hence my suggestion to look
    at formats. But it's certainly not the only reason for corruption. In my
    case I got the distinct impression Excel doesn't always catch up with
    changes, retaining extinct stuff somewhere to cause problems later.

    I've not read a definitive list of things that cause corruption, but many
    like this -
    Q. Help my file is corrupted, I don't know why, what can I do?
    A. Try OpenOffice or open in a different version of Excel.

    With your large wb of many formulas might be worth ensuring they are
    arranged efficiently. Charles Williams has good info on his site
    www.decisionmodels.com

    Backup !!

    Regards,
    Peter T

    PS - Another possibility - temporary files not deleted after some crash.

  9. #9
    Forum Contributor
    File size per se doesn't seem to be a factor in your problem. Refer
    http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...ighlight=crash