Heartbroken: custom chart markers don't display properly in PowerPoint

  1. #1
    Del Cotter
    Guest

    Heartbroken: custom chart markers don't display properly in PowerPoint

    I have been following Jon Peltier's wonderful tip on creating custom
    markers for Excel,

    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsH...omMarkers.html

    and I was all ready to import the finished product to Powerpoint, when I
    discovered that PowerPoint 97 (and Word 97) cannot handle the change
    from basic to custom markers. The series that have been customized are
    misaligned in the other applications! Does anyone know how I can recover
    from this awful disappointment?

    Now, there is a "solution", which is to paste as a bitmap. The thing is,
    I was really hoping to get the improved picture quality that comes from
    pasting as a vector graphic, then importing out of PP and into a
    photo-manipulation program at much better resolution than Excel achieves
    alone. So my problem boils down to:

    1) Nothing except Word and PowerPoint seems to accept Excel charts as
    vector graphics

    2) Word and PowerPoint don't display the vector graphics properly when
    the chart markers are custom pictures (either bitmap or MS's own
    AutoShape system)

    If you're interested in reproducing this problem, I have a demo file at

    http://www.branta.demon.co.uk/demo.xls

    if you copy and paste or paste-link the chart to Word or PP, you see how
    the smiley faces fall off the x-axis instead of lining up with it as
    they should. This is a very minor misalignment compared to some of the
    grosser ones I've managed to produce. Notice that if you clear the
    custom formatting and get back to the standard marker, the chart
    displays properly.

    --
    Del Cotter
    NB Personal replies to this post will send email to [email protected],

  2. #2
    Del Cotter
    Guest

    Custom chart markers don't display properly in vector graphics

    On Sun, 23 Apr 2006, in microsoft.public.excel.charting, I said:

    >Now, there is a "solution", which is to paste as a bitmap. The thing is,
    >I was really hoping to get the improved picture quality that comes from
    >pasting as a vector graphic, then importing out of PP and into a
    >photo-manipulation program at much better resolution than Excel achieves
    >alone. So my problem boils down to:
    >
    >1) Nothing except Word and PowerPoint seems to accept Excel charts as
    > vector graphics
    >
    >2) Word and PowerPoint don't display the vector graphics properly when
    > the chart markers are custom pictures (either bitmap or MS's own
    > AutoShape system)

    It happens every time, guaranteed: within seconds of committing this
    article to Usenet, I ran across Jon's advice for finding the secret
    Microsoft trick to exporting Excel charts as vector graphics:

    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsH...ChartData.html

    so I'm no longer limited to pasting into another Office application and
    out of it to an external program.

    The bad news is that every other application has the same problem:
    pictures display fine, as long as the Excel chart doesn't use any custom
    markers.

    So, any ideas? Is there perhaps a special class of markers I can use
    that are export-safe? Is it necessary to make the markers a special
    fixed size, and if so, what size do they need to be? I'm not looking for
    anything fancy, just some vertical and horizontal lines, and triangles
    like the standard one, only pointing left, right, and down instead of
    just up.

  3. #3
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Custom chart markers don't display properly in vector graphics

    Del -

    Using Excel 2003, I was able to copy as a picture and paste the picture into
    Word 2003, and the custom markers lined up as they had in the original
    chart. I only have 2003 on this laptop, and I don't use 97 at all anymore,
    so I can't check other versions.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP