Autofilter from one sheet to another?

  1. #1
    Pat
    Guest

    Autofilter from one sheet to another?

    Hi,

    I have data that I dump into Excel through Microsoft Query.
    The data generally looks like this (in columns), in a sheet called
    Data_Dump:

    Date Stock_Name Return
    3/31/06 Stock A .05
    3/31/06 Stock B .04
    2/28/06 Stock A .03
    2/28/06 Stock B .02
    etc.

    On a second sheet, Analysis, the user would have a pulldown (combo box
    form), with all the stock names to pick -- based on the Stock_Name
    column in Data_Dump, but not duplicates of the same stock name.
    This is similar to Autofilter, but would be on a different page. It's
    not just a simple form, because a simple form would contain duplicate
    names. The stock names and the number of rows are expected to change
    somewhat over time.

    Question: Can I set up an Autofilter control on a sheet different than
    the sheet the data actually is on? Or is there another way to eliminate
    duplicates in a pulldown list like that?

    Thank you,
    Pat

  2. #2
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Autofilter from one sheet to another?

    You can use an Advanced Filter to extract a list of unique items, or to
    extract items to a different sheet. There are instructions here:

    http://www.contextures.com/xladvfilter01.html

    And sample files here:

    Under filters, look for 'Product List by Category'

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Contextures