VBA coding needed badly

  1. #1

    VBA coding needed badly

    Hey there,

    1) I am currently working on a project which required me to create a macro that allow me to join up two excel worksheet containing a whole lot of information based on a unique key(userID,8 digit long) and is present in both sheets and paste it on a new sheet.

    2) How do you delete the information in a column?

    Example like, in a column i want to delete numbers starting with "0000XXXX" but retain numbers starting with "1234XXXX".
    Last edited by Seeking help; 06-22-2006 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Not clear

  2. #2
    Valued Forum Contributor mudraker's Avatar
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    3,983
    If the unique key is only on 1 sheet how do you match it with data on the other sheet?

    You need to supply more details

  3. #3
    JLatham
    Guest

    RE: VBA coding needed badly

    Clarify a littl please. I think what you mean is that if a unique key value
    doesn't appear in one file but does in another file, then you need to add
    that to the first list so that one of the files ends up containing a complete
    list of all unique keys?

    Example Workbook 1 contains these keys

    and Workbook 2 contains

    you want one of the workbooks to end up with a list like this?
    without duplicate 'key' entries.

    Is this what you're looking for?

  4. #4
    THat right JLatham!!

    A shorter version of example is like that
    HTML Code:

  5. #5
    Mr-Excel
    Guest

    Re: VBA coding needed badly

    Seeking help wrote:
    > THat right JLatham!!
    >
    > A shorter version of example is like that
    >
    > Sheet 1 might contain
    >
    > NUMBERS ANS REGION
    > 12345678 yes Asia
    > 12345679 no Europe
    >
    > Sheet 2 contain
    > NUMBERS PETS
    > 12345678 dog
    > 12345679 cat
    >
    > So i got to displayed a result like this in my results sheet
    >
    > NUMBERS ANS REGION PETS
    > 12345678 yes Asia dog
    > 12345679 no Europe
    > cat
    >

    > --
    > Seeking help
    > Seeking help's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35658
    > View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=554398

    will there be any common columns in both the sheets....?

  6. #6

    reply to Mr excel

    ya,there is a common column named Numbers in that example..it is something like a user ID.

  7. #7
    JLatham
    Guest

    Re: VBA coding needed badly

    See if this doesn't help some.
    http://www.jlathamsite.com/uploads/for_SeekingHelp.zip
    should be fast even on dialup, only 19KB.

    It's a .zip file with 2 .xls file in it. One has the code. Both have to be
    open for it all to work. Simulates your situation.

    Let me know how I did in the class - or if I was late getting a chair...

  8. #8

    Thumbs up

    Thanks alot Jlatham!!This code is great..i hope it is able to copy the ten thousands rows of info i have to do.I have a question on some coding..will hope to receive your reply soon.

    Dim MoveInfo(1 To 2, 1 To 2) As String
    MoveInfo(1, 1) = "B" 'from column B in other workbook...
    MoveInfo(1, 2) = "D" '...to column D in this workbook
    MoveInfo(2, 1) = "C" ' from column C in other workbook...
    MoveInfo(2, 2) = "E" ' ...to column E in this workbook

    I have changed it into
    Dim MoveInfo(1 To 11, 1 To 11) As String
    MoveInfo(1, 1) = "B"
    MoveInfo(1, 2) = "K"
    MoveInfo(2, 1) = "H"
    MoveInfo(2, 2) = "L"
    MoveInfo(3, 1) = "I"
    MoveInfo(3, 2) = "M"
    MoveInfo(4, 1) = "J"
    MoveInfo(4, 2) = "N"
    MoveInfo(5, 1) = "K"
    MoveInfo(5, 2) = "O"
    MoveInfo(6, 1) = "L"
    MoveInfo(6, 2) = "P"
    MoveInfo(7, 1) = "M"
    MoveInfo(7, 2) = "Q"
    MoveInfo(8, 1) = "N"
    MoveInfo(8, 2) = "R"
    MoveInfo(9, 1) = "O"
    MoveInfo(9, 2) = "S"
    MoveInfo(10, 1) = "P"
    MoveInfo(10, 2) = "T"
    MoveInfo(11, 1) = "Q"
    MoveInfo(11, 2) = "U"
    *Basically i need to copy total info of 11 columns.
    They are from column B, H-Q in 2nd sheet to K-U in 1st sheet.Am i right in the editing of codes??
    And one more thing,they are able to paste duplicate keys right??cause i just realise that in the excel sheets,one key might contains many different information.

    God bless
    With gratitude,
    Seeking help

    [QUOTE=JLatham]See if this doesn't help some.
    http://www.jlathamsite.com/uploads/for_SeekingHelp.zip
    should be fast even on dialup, only 19KB.

    It's a .zip file with 2 .xls file in it. One has the code. Both have to be
    open for it all to work. Simulates your situation.

    Let me know how I did in the class - or if I was late getting a chair...
    Last edited by Seeking help; 06-30-2006 at 04:25 AM.

  9. #9
    JLatham
    Guest

    Re: VBA coding needed badly

    Sorry for the wait.

    Actually It'll work as you have it written, but you didn't have to dimension
    the array as you did: Dime MoveInfo(1 to 11, 1 to 2) would have been
    sufficient.

  10. #10
    Thanks alot for that help..it was alright to wait and thanks once more for the hard coding.