counting duplicates Among Many Sheets, Possible??

  1. #1
    Forum Contributor
    Love City, USA

    Unhappy counting duplicates Among Many Sheets, Possible??

    Hi, I have spent countless days trying to find a formula that will allow me to find duplicates across Multiple Sheets within a single workbook. All resources I have checked only allow duplicate finding formulas for A single Sheet.

    I have multiple sheets 1 to 31 representing a month in which I have a column of phone numbers. i want to be able to know from sheet to sheet (Day to Day) if I may be retyping a number from a previous day. Thats why I need to have a formula to check acrosss the sheets for duplicate numbers...

    even better if I can have the duplicates displayed on a new sheet...

    Any formula or help would be much appreciated..Thanks In Advance..

  2. #2
    Franz Verga
    Guest

    Re: counting duplicates Among Many Sheets, Possible??

    Mhz wrote:
    >> confused: Hi, I have spent countless days trying to find a formula
    >> that

    > will allow me to find duplicates across Multiple Sheets within a
    > single workbook. All resources I have checked only allow duplicate
    > finding formulas for A single Sheet.
    >
    > I have multiple sheets 1 to 31 representing a month in which I have a
    > column of phone numbers. i want to be able to know from sheet to
    > sheet (Day to Day) if I may be retyping a number from a previous day.
    > Thats why I need to have a formula to check acrosss the sheets for
    > duplicate numbers...
    >
    > even better if I can have the duplicates displayed on a new sheet...
    >
    > Any formula or help would be much appreciated..Thanks In Advance..

    Maybe you could find usefule this page at Chip Pearson's site:

    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplic...tingDuplicates

    --
    Hope I helped you.

    Thanks in advance for your feedback.

    Ciao

    Franz Verga from Italy

  3. #3
    Max
    Guest

    Re: counting duplicates Among Many Sheets, Possible??

    Here's an approach using non-array formulas which dynamically gathers & lists
    all tel #s from all source sheets (identically structured) into a single col
    in a summary sheet, then flags duplicate tel#s (if any) and extracts a
    "master" list of unique tel#s for ref.

    A sample construct is available at:
    http://www.savefile.com/files/5448014
    Dynamic data list fr 31 shts n Flag dups n Extract uniques.xls

    Assume tel #s would be listed within A1:A10* in 3 source sheets named simply
    as: 1, 2, 3. *max expected data extent is say: 10 rows per sheet

    In a new sheet: Summary (say),

    Col headers placed in A1:C1, and in E1
    In A1: In sheet
    In B1: Tel# List
    In C1: Dup Tel#?
    In E1: List of unique Tel# (from all source sheets)

    In A2:
    =INT((ROW(A1)-1)/10)+1

    In B2:
    =OFFSET(INDIRECT("'"&INT((ROW(A1)-1)/10)+1&"'!A1"),MOD(ROW(A1)-1,10),)

    Note: Just change the "10" in the formulas in A2 and B2 to a figure equal to
    the max expected number of rows of source data

    In C2:
    =IF(B2=0,"",IF(COUNTIF($B$2:B2,B2)>1,"Dup",""))

    In D2:
    =IF(B2=0,"",IF(COUNTIF($B$2:B2,B2)>1,"",ROW()))
    (Leave D1 empty)

    In E2:
    =IF(ROW(A1)>COUNT(D:D),"",INDEX(B:B,MATCH(SMALL(D:D,ROW(A1)),D:D,0)))

    Select A2:E2, fill down to E31, to cover the max expected aggregated extent
    of source data. In this example, the max is 10 rows per sheet x 3 sheets = 30
    rows total. (Extend the formulas fill to suit your actual aggregate)

    Cols A auto-labels sequentially the sheetnames: 1, 2, 3 (repeating
    automatically each sheetname for 10 rows) while col B lists the corresponding
    tel# entries within A1:A10 from each sheet. Zeros will be returned in col B
    for any empty source cells.

    Col C will flag duplicate tel #s within col B, if any, for reference ("Dup").
    Just autofilter on C1 as needed. To count the # of duplicates, just use in
    any cell (other than within col C): =COUNTIF(C:C,"Dup")

    Col D is a criteria col for col E to dynamically extract a uniques list of
    tel #s from col B (Col D can be hidden away)

    Col E extracts the List of unique Tel# for reference
    --
    Max
    Singapore

  4. #4
    Forum Contributor
    Love City, USA

    Arrow

    Thanks for the replies... Quite interesting Max and very detailed thanks alot.. I have multiple columns with names, phone remarks, etc on each sheet, so I think the master Page will be more ideal for capturing the dupes. Some of the programing you wrote is a bit over my head at the time, but I will study it... I am still in an old world of BASIC programming and havn't quite had the time to get up to par on Visual Basic. But thanks anyhow, I'll see what I can put together on the wonderful info you have given me... Thanks Much

  5. #5
    m96
    Guest

    RE: counting duplicates Among Many Sheets, Possible??

    Try Duplicate Master:
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~brettdj/

    As Application scope you can either choose Entire workbook or choose Range
    and click on the different sheets or sheets/columns which you want to search.

    Works great!

    BR,

  6. #6
    Max
    Guest

    Re: counting duplicates Among Many Sheets, Possible??

    You're welcome, Mhz !
    Thanks for the feedback ..