Dates showing are not what I type

  1. #1
    Mick
    Guest

    Dates showing are not what I type

    I am sorry if this is a stupid question but here goes .

    If I type in dates as 010106 it gives me 01/09/27
    This was raised in an earlier Question I tried the reply by Ragdyer which was
    (If you were going to enter a *very* large number of dates into a column,
    where you might consider it worthwhile using several *extra* steps in Text
    To Columns (TTC), you could enter your dates using *6* digits (to avoid
    ambiguity), *without* delimiters.

    This entails a whole other procedure, so the saving wouldn't be realized
    unless the number of dates to be entered was quite large.

    For example, you could enter dates as mmddyy.

    Then, select the cells, and
    <Data> <TextToColumns> <Next> <Next>

    Click on "Date", and make sure "MDY" shows in the window,
    Then <Finish>.

    You've now made your 6 digit date entries recognizable to XL as *the* dates
    that you want, not "morphed" into dates XL chooses.)

    It did not work for me can someone please help me

  2. #2
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Dates showing are not what I type

    Mick

    What does "did not work" mean to you?

    Followed the steps, making sure that the 6 digits were entered as text by
    pre-formatting the range as text.

    Got this returned after Custom formatting.

    April 17, 2005
    December 15, 2004
    January 1, 2005
    October 12, 2006
    September 25, 2004
    December 25, 2005

    Looks OK to me.

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  3. #3
    Mick
    Guest

    RE: Dates showing are not what I type

    I AM SORRY BUT I MUST REALLY BE COMING ACROSS AS THICK BUT i CANT GET IT TO
    WORK FOR ME i TRIED WHAT IS BELOW AND IT IS STILL GIVING ME WRONG DATES: IE I
    TYPE IN 010706 AND I GET 23/04/1929
    ANYONE ANY IDEAS

  4. #4
    SteveW
    Guest

    Re: Dates showing are not what I type

    You will if you type 010706 into a cell. I just tried it
    You have to enter it as text or ensure that the cell is text first

    Then Convert the cells using Text to Columns as detailed already

    I just tried it and that works too

    Steve

    On Wed, 05 Jul 2006 17:23:01 +0100, Mick <[email protected]=

    wrote:

    > I AM SORRY BUT I MUST REALLY BE COMING ACROSS AS THICK BUT i CANT GET =

    IT =

    > WORK FOR ME i TRIED WHAT IS BELOW AND IT IS STILL GIVING ME WRONG DATE=

    S: =

    > IE I
    > TYPE IN 010706 AND I GET 23/04/1929
    > ANYONE ANY IDEAS
    >
    > "Mick" wrote:
    >
    >> I am sorry if this is a stupid question but here goes .
    >>
    >> If I type in dates as 010106 it gives me 01/09/27
    >> This was raised in an earlier Question I tried the reply by Ragdyer =

    =

    >> which was
    >> (If you were going to enter a *very* large number of dates into a =

    >> column,
    >> where you might consider it worthwhile using several *extra* steps in=

    =

    >> Text
    >> To Columns (TTC), you could enter your dates using *6* digits (to avo=

    id
    >> ambiguity), *without* delimiters.
    >>
    >> This entails a whole other procedure, so the saving wouldn't be reali=

    zed
    >> unless the number of dates to be entered was quite large.
    >>
    >> For example, you could enter dates as mmddyy.
    >> 041705
    >> 121504
    >> 010105
    >> 101206
    >> 092504
    >> 122505
    >>
    >> Then, select the cells, and
    >> <Data> <TextToColumns> <Next> <Next>
    >>
    >> Click on "Date", and make sure "MDY" shows in the window,
    >> Then <Finish>.
    >>
    >> You've now made your 6 digit date entries recognizable to XL as *the*=

    =

    >> dates
    >> that you want, not "morphed" into dates XL chooses.)
    >>
    >> It did not work for me can someone please help me

    -- =

    Steve (3)

  5. #5
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Dates showing are not what I type

    Steve

    OP was given this information yesterday so hope he gets it this time from your
    posting.

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

    On Wed, 05 Jul 2006 18:25:07 +0100, SteveW <[email protected]> wrote:

    >You will if you type 010706 into a cell. I just tried it
    >You have to enter it as text or ensure that the cell is text first
    >
    >Then Convert the cells using Text to Columns as detailed already
    >
    >I just tried it and that works too
    >
    >Steve
    >
    >On Wed, 05 Jul 2006 17:23:01 +0100, Mick <[email protected]>
    >wrote:
    >
    >> I AM SORRY BUT I MUST REALLY BE COMING ACROSS AS THICK BUT i CANT GET IT
    >> WORK FOR ME i TRIED WHAT IS BELOW AND IT IS STILL GIVING ME WRONG DATES:
    >> IE I
    >> TYPE IN 010706 AND I GET 23/04/1929
    >> ANYONE ANY IDEAS
    >>
    >> "Mick" wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am sorry if this is a stupid question but here goes .
    >>>
    >>> If I type in dates as 010106 it gives me 01/09/27
    >>> This was raised in an earlier Question I tried the reply by Ragdyer
    >>> which was
    >>> (If you were going to enter a *very* large number of dates into a
    >>> column,
    >>> where you might consider it worthwhile using several *extra* steps in
    >>> Text
    >>> To Columns (TTC), you could enter your dates using *6* digits (to avoid
    >>> ambiguity), *without* delimiters.
    >>>
    >>> This entails a whole other procedure, so the saving wouldn't be realized
    >>> unless the number of dates to be entered was quite large.
    >>>
    >>> For example, you could enter dates as mmddyy.
    >>> 041705
    >>> 121504
    >>> 010105
    >>> 101206
    >>> 092504

  6. #6
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    Re: Dates showing are not what I type

    Hey Mick,

    I can duplicate your error if I (you) *forget* to click on "Date" in the
    third window of the TTC wizard,
    before clicking <Finish>.

    On my system, 010706 will return 4/23/29 after going through TTC without a
    choice being made in the "Column Data Format" section!

    Follow the instructions *EXACTLY*.

    <<<"Then, select the cells, and
    <Data> <TextToColumns> <Next> <Next>

    ***Click on "Date"***, and make sure "MDY" shows in the window,
    Then <Finish>.">>>

    RD

    news:[email protected]...