Sales Tax Calculation

  1. #1
    LMB
    Guest

    Sales Tax Calculation

    Hi,

    What function or calculation could I use in a spreadsheet to calculate the
    price of an item minus the local sales tax so that in the end the final
    price would be a whole number. I would like to enter the local tax rate in
    percent so I could figure out what the price for an item should be so in the
    end the final price is $5, $10, $15 etc. Using Excel 2000.

    Thanks,
    Linda

  2. #2
    Roy Harrill
    Guest

    Re: Sales Tax Calculation

    If the tax rate is in cell B1 and the final (total) price is in B2, use this
    formula in cell B3 (or any other cell):
    =ROUND(B2/(1+B1),2)
    Roy

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Bondi
    Guest

    Re: Sales Tax Calculation

    LMB wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > What function or calculation could I use in a spreadsheet to calculate the
    > price of an item minus the local sales tax so that in the end the final
    > price would be a whole number. I would like to enter the local tax rate in
    > percent so I could figure out what the price for an item should be so in the
    > end the final price is $5, $10, $15 etc. Using Excel 2000.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Linda

    Hi Linda,

    Another way to do it would be to format the cell where you enter your
    local tax as Percentage (Right Click the cell and chose Format Cells ->
    Number and Chose Percentage on the right side). If we say that A1 is
    the tax cell and B1 is the price including tax then i think that this
    formula will give you the price net tax as a whole number:

    =ROUND(B1-(B1*A1),0)

    If you want the final price shown as currency then Right Click the cell
    and chose Format Cells -> Number and Chose Currency on the right side
    and chose $ as symbol.

    Regards,

    Bondi

  4. #4
    LMB
    Guest

    Re: Sales Tax Calculation

    Thanks Roy and Bondi. I am heading out on a trip and will try these
    suggestions this weekend.

    Linda

  5. #5
    LMB
    Guest

    Re: Sales Tax Calculation

    I tried this formula but I'm not getting what I need. I need to enter the
    tax rate and the final price and my calculation will give me the Item Price.

    Tax Rate 7.25
    Total Price 15.00
    Item Price $1.82 (Calculated Number based on Tax Rate and Total Price)

    Thanks,
    Linda

    news:%[email protected]...

  6. #6
    LMB
    Guest

    Re: Sales Tax Calculation

    "Bondi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > LMB wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> What function or calculation could I use in a spreadsheet to calculate
    >> the
    >> price of an item minus the local sales tax so that in the end the final
    >> price would be a whole number. I would like to enter the local tax rate
    >> in
    >> percent so I could figure out what the price for an item should be so in
    >> the
    >> end the final price is $5, $10, $15 etc. Using Excel 2000.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Linda

    > Hi Linda,
    >
    > Another way to do it would be to format the cell where you enter your
    > local tax as Percentage (Right Click the cell and chose Format Cells ->
    > Number and Chose Percentage on the right side). If we say that A1 is
    > the tax cell and B1 is the price including tax then i think that this
    > formula will give you the price net tax as a whole number:
    >
    > =ROUND(B1-(B1*A1),0)
    >
    > If you want the final price shown as currency then Right Click the cell
    > and chose Format Cells -> Number and Chose Currency on the right side
    > and chose $ as symbol.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Bondi

    I tried this formula as well as the other one suggested but I'm still not
    getting what I need. I need to enter the tax rate and the final price and
    my calculation will give me the Item Price. I tried you suggestion and got
    this. I am not the best at math but I think Tax on $14.00 is 1.015 so the
    total price would be $15.02. I need the final price to be $15.00 even.

    Tax Rate Total Price Item Price
    7.25% $15.00 $14.00

    Thanks

  7. #7
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Sales Tax Calculation

    LMB

    Try this formula.........=ROUND(B2/(1+B1),1) returns 14.00

    Note that tax rate in B1 is .0725 not 7.25

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  8. #8
    LMB
    Guest

    Re: Sales Tax Calculation

    Thanks Gord,

    Ok..that seems better but if I have an item the is a total price of $20.00
    with sales tax .0725 <g>, my Item Price calculates out to $18.60. If I plug
    in 18.60 in a sales tax calculator, I get a total price of 19.95. Is the
    Round part causing this?

    Thanks,
    Linda

  9. #9
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Sales Tax Calculation

    Yes.

    The rounding changes the actual value.

    If you use this formula =(B2/(1+B1))

    B1 = .0725

    B2 = 20.00

    Formula returns 18.65

    ..0725 * 18.65 = 20.00

    Gord

    On Sat, 8 Jul 2006 20:36:47 -0400, "LMB" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Thanks Gord,
    >
    >Ok..that seems better but if I have an item the is a total price of $20.00
    >with sales tax .0725 <g>, my Item Price calculates out to $18.60. If I plug
    >in 18.60 in a sales tax calculator, I get a total price of 19.95. Is the
    >Round part causing this?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Linda
    >

    >"Gord Dibben" <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> LMB
    >>
    >> Try this formula.........=ROUND(B2/(1+B1),1) returns 14.00
    >>
    >> Note that tax rate in B1 is .0725 not 7.25
    >>

    >> Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP
    >>
    >> On Sat, 8 Jul 2006 18:07:24 -0400, "LMB" <[email protected]>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I tried this formula but I'm not getting what I need. I need to enter the
    >>>tax rate and the final price and my calculation will give me the Item
    >>>Price.
    >>>
    >>>Tax Rate 7.25
    >>>Total Price 15.00
    >>>Item Price $1.82 (Calculated Number based on Tax Rate and Total Price)
    >>>
    >>>Thanks,
    >>>Linda
    >>>
    >>>"Roy Harrill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>>news:%[email protected]...

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  10. #10
    LMB
    Guest

    Re: Sales Tax Calculation

    Thanks...I could have just tried it...geesh, I got myself all
    confused....not hard to do.

    Linda

  11. #11
    LMB

  12. #12
    LMB

  13. #13
    Gord Dibben

  14. #14
    LMB

  15. #15
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Sales Tax Calculation

    Yes.

    The rounding changes the actual value.

    If you use this formula =(B2/(1+B1))

    B1 = .0725

    B2 = 20.00

    Formula returns 18.65

    ..0725 * 18.65 = 20.00

    Gord

    On Sat, 8 Jul 2006 20:36:47 -0400, "LMB" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Thanks Gord,
    >
    >Ok..that seems better but if I have an item the is a total price of $20.00
    >with sales tax .0725 <g>, my Item Price calculates out to $18.60. If I plug
    >in 18.60 in a sales tax calculator, I get a total price of 19.95. Is the
    >Round part causing this?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Linda
    >

    >"Gord Dibben" <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> LMB
    >>
    >> Try this formula.........=ROUND(B2/(1+B1),1) returns 14.00
    >>
    >> Note that tax rate in B1 is .0725 not 7.25
    >>

    >> Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP
    >>
    >> On Sat, 8 Jul 2006 18:07:24 -0400, "LMB" <[email protected]>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I tried this formula but I'm not getting what I need. I need to enter the
    >>>tax rate and the final price and my calculation will give me the Item
    >>>Price.
    >>>
    >>>Tax Rate 7.25
    >>>Total Price 15.00
    >>>Item Price $1.82 (Calculated Number based on Tax Rate and Total Price)
    >>>
    >>>Thanks,
    >>>Linda
    >>>
    >>>"Roy Harrill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>>news:%[email protected]...

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  16. #16
    LMB