Closed Thread
Results 1 to 2 of 2

how can I have a formula result based on multiple criteria/columns

  1. #1
    nicky_p
    Guest

    how can I have a formula result based on multiple criteria/columns

    I have an expenses sheet set up as follows:

    A/status B/date C/expense type D/amount

    1 allowed 05/07/06 car £20.00
    2 notallowed 05/07/06 car £450.00
    3 notallowed 05/07/06 car £15.00
    4 notallowed 05/07/06 car £26.00
    5 allowed 05/07/06 post £20.00
    6 allowed 05/07/06 post £20.00
    7
    8 total car allowed
    £--.--
    9 total post allowed
    £--.--
    10
    11 total car notallowed
    £--.--
    12 total post notallowed £--.--

    what formula can I use to say total all instances of "car" & "allowed"...
    or of "car" & "not allowed"

    I have tried =SUMIF, but it will only recognise the first column in the
    range..
    eg in D8 I wrote:

    =SUMIF(A1:C6, "allowed""car", D1:D6)

    but it will not recognise multiple criteria ie "allowed" & "car".

    how can i total the values based on multiple criteria in different columns?

    thanks in advance

    nicky

  2. #2
    JMB
    Guest

    RE: how can I have a formula result based on multiple criteria/columns

    =SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A6="allowed"), --(C1:C6="car"), D1:D6)
    =SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A6="notallowed"), --(C1:C6="car"), D1:D6)

    "nicky_p" wrote:

    > I have an expenses sheet set up as follows:
    >
    > A/status B/date C/expense type D/amount
    >
    > 1 allowed 05/07/06 car £20.00
    > 2 notallowed 05/07/06 car £450.00
    > 3 notallowed 05/07/06 car £15.00
    > 4 notallowed 05/07/06 car £26.00
    > 5 allowed 05/07/06 post £20.00
    > 6 allowed 05/07/06 post £20.00
    > 7
    > 8 total car allowed
    > £--.--
    > 9 total post allowed
    > £--.--
    > 10
    > 11 total car notallowed
    > £--.--
    > 12 total post notallowed £--.--
    >

    > what formula can I use to say total all instances of "car" & "allowed"...
    > or of "car" & "not allowed"
    >
    > I have tried =SUMIF, but it will only recognise the first column in the
    > range..
    > eg in D8 I wrote:
    >
    > =SUMIF(A1:C6, "allowed""car", D1:D6)
    >
    > but it will not recognise multiple criteria ie "allowed" & "car".
    >
    > how can i total the values based on multiple criteria in different columns?
    >
    > thanks in advance
    >
    > nicky

Closed Thread