Help with IF formula

  1. #1
    Jim
    Guest

    Help with IF formula

    Hi everyone. Someone on here always has an answer for my question, so thanks
    in advance.

    I am running XP Pro SP2, and Office Pro 2003.

    Column A is for quantity, and the quantity can be positive or negative.

    Column H is for individual pricing, and Column I is for the price extension
    (i.e. A*H).

    Column I is blank unless there is a number to be displayed.

    I have the following formula set up in I4 now:

    =IF(A4>0,A4*H4,"")

    which works OK if A4 is a positive number. What should the formula be so it
    also works with a negative number? Rember that if A4 is blank, then I4 is
    also blank.

    In other words, I need an operator that will only work if A4 is not blank.

    Thanks for your help.
    --
    Jim

  2. #2
    how about

    =IF(A4="","",A4*H4)

    ?

  3. #3
    msnews.microsoft.com
    Guest

    Re: Help with IF formula

    Try:
    =IF(A4="","",A4*H4)

    Is this too obvoius?

    --
    AP

    [email protected]...

  4. #4
    SteveW
    Guest

    Re: Help with IF formula

    try
    =3Dif(a4<>"",a4*h4,"")

    Steve

    On Wed, 05 Jul 2006 16:39:02 +0100, Jim <[email protected]> =
    =

    wrote:

    > Hi everyone. Someone on here always has an answer for my question, so =

    =

    > thanks
    > in advance.
    >
    > I am running XP Pro SP2, and Office Pro 2003.
    >
    > Column A is for quantity, and the quantity can be positive or negative=

    ..

  5. #5
    flummi
    Guest

    Re: Help with IF formula

    Hi,

    =IF(ISNUMBER(A4);A4*H4);"")

    Hans

  6. #6
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Help with IF formula

    Hi Jim

    In addition to the other replies you have received, you could just use
    the formula without any IF() statement, and use
    Tools>Options>General>untick Zero values
    to prevent anything displayed if the result is 0

    --
    Regards

    Roger Govier

    news:[email protected]...

  7. #7
    SteveW
    Guest

    Re: Help with IF formula

    On Thu, 06 Jul 2006 17:46:27 +0100, Roger Govier =

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Hi Jim
    >
    > In addition to the other replies you have received, you could just use=

    > the formula without any IF() statement, and use
    > Tools>Options>General>untick Zero values
    > to prevent anything displayed if the result is 0

    Too general, imo, but custom format of #;-#; changes 0 to nothing for =

    specific cells

    -- =

    Steve (3)