Updating data with an ODBC link to ACCESS

  1. #1
    Guest

    Updating data with an ODBC link to ACCESS

    Does anyone know the best approach for this?

    I have (roughly) 200 EXCEL files that have VLOOKUPs to 5 additional
    spreadsheets which have ODBC links to various rate tables in an ACCESS
    database. Here's the scenario:

    Part 1.

    In ACCESS, I have a various Rate Tables where I maintain and update
    corresponding rates for various programs. As these rates are changed in
    ACCESS, the corresponding EXCEL spreadsheets (having an ODBC link) need to
    be opened and the updates allowed to process.

    Part 2.

    The EXCEL spreadsheets are used by a myriad of users to provide updates -- I
    don't want a user to inadvertantly click on "Allow Updates" on the ODBC
    linked data (especially if we're in the middle of modifying the Rates in the
    ACCESS database).

    Currently, the decision has been to protect the 200 EXCEL spreadsheets, and
    on the EDIT Links, the Item Update is set to "Automatic". From what I can
    tell, under the current setup, I would need a script (Macro, VBA, or Batch
    File) that would pass the password for each protected spreadsheet, so that
    the Automatice Update of the Linked data could execute.

    What is the BEST way to handle this scenario? Here are some thoughts I had:

    1. Would Information Rights Management (IRM) be an option? (assuming that
    we could unprotect the spreadsheet and assign unique permissions for users)
    2. Is there a Macro/VBS/ or Batch File scenario which could allow me to
    automatically UNPROTECT the spreadsheet, Open it, Allow the Update to take
    place, then close the spreadsheet?

    NOTE. I relatively NEW to creating Batch Files, and what I have currently
    have won't get me past the password issue, nor close the individual EXCEL
    files after they're updated:

    I'm drawing straws on which approach to take on this -- any help would be
    greatly appreciated -- thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    Guest

    Re: Updating data with an ODBC link to ACCESS

    I'm almost there ...

    Does anyone see anything that I may be missing? Here's the MOST important
    thing I need this code to do (assuming there are no further modifications
    needed) ...

    This code (Macro) needs to perform this same task on approximately 200
    different Workbooks (all residing in the same Network Directory), but ONLY
    when a Command Button is pressed. I'm assuming that I'll need to create a
    Form (in ACCESS perhaps) and call this Macro -- correct? How would I do
    this, and how would I get this Macro to perform this Link Update on all 200
    or so Workbooks?

    Private Sub Workbook_Open()
    Dim vLinkSources
    Dim iLinkSource As Integer
    Dim AnySheet As Worksheet
    For Each AnySheet In ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets
    ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets(AnySheet.Name).Unprotect
    Password:="mypassword"
    Next
    vLinkSources = ActiveWorkbook.LinkSources(xlExcelLinks)
    If Not IsEmpty(vLinkSources) Then
    For iLinkSource = LBound(vLinkSources) To
    UBound(vLinkSources)
    ActiveWorkbook.UpdateLink vLinkSources(iLinkSource), xlExcelLinks
    Next
    End If
    For Each AnySheet In ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets
    ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets(AnySheet.Name).Protect
    Password:="mypassword"
    Next
    End Sub
    news:[email protected]...