Help me "dissect" this function (Excel 2002 [XP])

  1. #1
    Mike Webb
    Guest

    Help me "dissect" this function (Excel 2002 [XP])

    =DSUM(Membership,Membership!$C$49,C1:C3)+DSUM(Revenue,'Revenue
    Projects'!$D$2,C1:C3)

    I'm trying to adapt a budget worksheet from another non-profit for our use.
    I don't know who the author is and I've had it a couple years, so trying to
    go that route for help is a non-starter.

    I don't understand why they have Membership twice; I guess one is for the
    worksheet and the other is the column header, but I don't get it as $C$49
    points to a a column label named "Revenue". and C1:C3 point to 2 blank cells
    and one with the column label "2002". Somehow, the orginal formula was
    pulling $10,000 frm this worksheet. I can't figure out how. In the 2nd
    half of the function I don't have a worksheet named Revenue, but do ahve one
    named Revenue Projects - but no column lable of Revenue. Anyway $D$2 is a
    column label called "Monthly Giving" (don't know why I need that in this
    formula), and C1:C3 are a blank line, column header, and some text. Now the
    number I CAN pull frm MY formula - $600 - can be found in cell D4. In case
    it's useful, cell A4 has trhe following text: "Monthly Giving".

    I can provide much more info on the workbook, but I limited myself to the
    immediate problem. (P.S. What do some formulas use $ signs in front of the
    cell column and row ID's and others don't? Couldn't find it in the Help
    menu.)

    --
    Mike Webb
    Platte River Whooping Crane Maintenance Trust, Inc.

  2. #2
    kassie
    Guest

    RE: Help me "dissect" this function (Excel 2002 [XP])

    I think you will have a much clearer understanding if you hit help in Excel,
    and type in DSUM. It not only explains the syntax, but also gives a very
    good example of how to use inter alia DSUM.

    As for the last part of your question, the $ sign is used to make a cell
    reference absolute, as opposed to relative. Iow, if you enter the following
    formula in B1 - =A1, and you copy it to C1, it becomes =B1. If you copy it
    to B2, it becomes A2. However, $A1, if copied to C1, will still read =$A1.
    If you copy this to B2, it will read =$A2.
    =$A$1 will remain as =$A$1, no matter where you copy it to.
    A$1, when copied to B1, will read =B$1, but if copied to B2, will read =A$1

  3. #3
    Mike Webb
    Guest

    Re: Help me "dissect" this function (Excel 2002 [XP])

    Thanks for the explanation of the $ sign - it helps a lot.

    However, I'm still unsure about DSUM.

    I just enterred DSUM into Help and got the definition -
    Database-Field-Criteria. Using this as the "decoder", the 1st "Membership"
    would be the Database (worksheet), "Membership!$C$49" is the Field, and
    "C1:C3" is the criteria - correct?
    If the Field is the column used, then I don't get the "Membership" half.
    That word is used in only one cell on the worksheet - A1. As I mentioned
    below, $C$49 refers to a column label named "Revenue" (which is not used on
    the original worksheet that has the cell with this formula). And the
    criteria makes no sense when I look at what's in those cells. I tried
    hitting "Example" in Help for DSUM, but their example:
    =DSUM(A4:E10,"Profit",A1:F2) The total profit from apple trees with a height
    between 10 and 16. (75)

    doesn't help me.

    Can someone give me a bit more to go on?

    Mike

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    kassie
    Guest

    Re: Help me "dissect" this function (Excel 2002 [XP])

    Hi Mike

    Glad I could help a litle bit. For help on the DSUM issue, Iwould really
    need to examine your file. If you do not get any other responses to your
    post, I would suggest you email me your file(s). I will then be in a much
    better position to assist you. Mail me at [email protected], but
    change the sjoe to hot

  5. #5
    Mike Webb
    Guest

    Re: Help me "dissect" this function (Excel 2002 [XP])

    Wil do, thanks.