newbie protection question

  1. #1
    John
    Guest

    newbie protection question

    How do I pretect sheets in such a way that users can input data but
    can't change formulas, macros etc?

    Thanks
    John

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    Make sure the cells you want your user to be ABLE to edit are unlocked. You do that by rightclicking, Format Cells, Protection and make sure the Locked option is unchecked.

    Then you go to your menu bar, Tools, Protection, Protect Sheet.

    Notice, if there are formulas you would like to hide, you can do what was described above and this time, Check Hidden
    Google is your best friend!

  3. #3
    Forum Contributor keithl816's Avatar
    Georgia
    MS-Off Ver
    Hi John,

    Highlight all the areas that you want the user to enter data,

    go to Format|cells|protection| remove the checkmark from the lock box

    then go to Tools|protection|protect sheet| remove the checkmark in the select locked cells box and enter a password.

    Hope this helps

    Larry

  4. #4
    Sloth
    Guest

    RE: newbie protection question

    All cells are protected by default.

    To unprotect a cell:
    Right click the cells in question, and click "format cells"
    Goto the Protection tab and deselect "Locked"
    Now when you protect the sheet (tools->protection), the individual cell can
    still be changed.

    I don't think there is a way to protect macros, but I might be wrong.

    Sloth July 2006

  5. #5
    Nick Hodge
    Guest

    Re: newbie protection question

    John

    On macros you can set up protection for them in the VBE (Alt+F11), for other
    things it is a two-stage process. All Excel cells are 'locked' by default,
    but this is ignored until the sheet is protected.

    Highlight the cells you want users to input into (You can highlight multiple
    cells by Ctrl+Click) and now, with these highlighted go to
    Format>Cells...>Protection and deselect 'locked', now protect the sheet
    (Tools>Protection>Protect Sheet...) and these cells will be 'un-locked' and
    entry enabled

    Nick Hodge
    Microsoft MVP - Excel
    Southampton, England
    www.nickhodge.co.uk
    [email protected]HIS

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    John
    Guest

    Re: newbie protection question

    Thanks. Is there a way to protect multiple sheets? The protect workbook
    doesn't seem to do it. What does protect workbook do?
    Thanks again

    John

  7. #7
    Nick Hodge
    Guest

    Re: newbie protection question

    John

    Just repeat the instructions on each sheet

    Workbook protection prevents the user from opening/editing the file at all
    without the password. Worksheet protection allows the user to see the data
    and interact with areas allowed by the creator

  8. #8
    John
    Guest

    Re: newbie protection question

    Jeez... there is 60+ sheets. Should be an easier way.

    John

  9. #9
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: newbie protection question

    Nick

    Workbook Protection is not the same as File Open protection.

    Workbook protection disables such features as deleting sheets, changing window
    sizes.

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  10. #10
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: newbie protection question

    John

    You can do it with a macro.

    Sub ProtectAllSheets()
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    Dim n As Single
    For n = 1 To Sheets.Count
    Sheets(n).Protect Password:="justme"
    Next n
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True
    End Sub

    Sub UnprotectAllSheets()
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    Dim n As Single
    For n = 1 To Sheets.Count
    Sheets(n).Unprotect Password:="justme"

  11. #11
    John
    Guest

    Re: newbie protection question

    Perfect thanks you
    John

  12. #12
    JLatham
    Guest

    RE: newbie protection question

    To keep people from changing your macro code you have to protect the VB
    project. To do that, when in the VB Editor (use [Alt]+[F11] to get there)
    choose Tools | VBAProject Properties and then use the settings on the
    [Protection] tab to keep people out of there.