Network Drives

  1. #1
    Keith
    Guest

    Network Drives

    I have a number of Excel files on a network server which it is mapped on my
    PC as the 'H' drive, however for some users this drive is mapped as their
    'K' drive. I have created links to various Access databases for which they
    auto update when I open the Excel spreadsheets. However when users (who see
    the drive as 'K') try to open this file, they get an error stating that the
    file cannot be found.

    I have the same problem to some degree with macros which need to open or
    update other spreadsheets. Is there a way to specify the server name and
    full path rather than H:\Sales\spreadsheet.xls etc?

    Thanks for your help

  2. #2
    Neil
    Guest

    RE: Network Drives

    Keith,

    You could try making your code use the full network path of the files you
    want to link to:

    e.g You have a network drive called 'H' which is actually a folder called
    'ExcelFiles' on a server called 'Netserver'

    Now, as you rightly say, if your code says to go to h:\sales\spreadsheet.xls
    and other users have it mapped as a different drive letter then the code will
    fail.

    If you change your code to say, \\Netserver\ExcelFiles\sales\spreadsheet.xls
    then all users will be able to run th code, no matter what their drive
    mappings may be.

    You may need to enlist the help of your IT dept or system admin to get the
    full network path name.

    HTH

    Neil
    www.nwarwick.co.uk

  3. #3
    JLatham
    Guest

    RE: Network Drives

    What Neil said! That's the best way in the end for most users. Unless you
    have a company policy that says "map this that way, and that this way, and
    always use R for ..." then you are always faced with the problem, even when
    providing simple links to files on the network via email. Using the full
    network path and filename resolves all of those issues.