1:1 as the Array using the MATCH function

  1. #1
    Knot2Brite
    Guest

    1:1 as the Array using the MATCH function

    Hello,

    I am working on an Excel course from OzGrid.

    One of the problem/examples defines the MATCH function Array as 1:1. In my
    ignorance I expected something like A1:G50.

    I can't find in Help an explanation of what "1:1" defines. I will
    appreciate some guidance.

    Thanks

    Bob

  2. #2
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: 1:1 as the Array using the MATCH function

    The 1:1 in the array indicates ALL of Row_1.

    Does that help?
    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP

  3. #3
    Knot2Brite
    Guest

    RE: 1:1 as the Array using the MATCH function

    Hello Ron,

    Thank you. With this bit of information the lesson makes sense.

    Are there things like "1:2" or "2:2" or "2:1" that I should be alert to?

    Thanks again,

    Bob

  4. #4
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: 1:1 as the Array using the MATCH function

    Yes....

    In a blank cell, type =SUM(

    Experiment with this:
    Select one or more entire column(s) or row(s) and see how the formula
    changes to reflect the selections.

    Example: If you selected columns E through G, the formula will display:
    =SUM(E:G

    Does that help?
    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP

  5. #5
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: 1:1 as the Array using the MATCH function

    1:2 is simply two rows, 1 and 2, 2:2 is row 2. It is unlikely that you will
    see 2:1 as Excel will change it to 1:2. I do recall an instance where Excel
    didn't convert it, I cannot remember where now, but it still treated it the
    same.

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...