Depreciation Formula

  1. #1
    Guest

    Depreciation Formula

    I don't expect to get any bites on this one, but, "Hey, it's Friday -- it
    could happen!"

    Just got this one dropped on my lap -- we have a spreadsheet with items that
    we depreciate -- this spreadsheep has been touched/maniulated by many over
    the years (I just gained access to it, since it's not doing what the Finance
    folks would like it to do).

    Here's what it does ...
    Col H has a description of the item
    Col J has In Service Date
    Col L has the Life of the item (ie, 60 mos, 120 mos)
    Col M has the Original Cost of the item
    Col N figures the Monthly Depreciation (=M2/L2)
    Col O has Total Accumulated Depreciation (from In Service
    Date until 12/31/Previous Year)
    Col P-AA has the Depreciation Value (per month) Jan- Dec
    Col AB has the Total Depreciation Value for the
    preceeding 12-Month period
    Col AC has Total Accumulated Depreciated
    (12/31/Previous Year + Current Year)
    Col AD has New Book Value (=+M2-AC2 OR Original Cost -
    Total Accumulated Value)

    Here's what I need ... I need some sort of IF statement (I assume this will
    be the most logical concept) that will continue to calculate the fields up
    to the point where the New Book = ZERO (or until the Total Accumulated
    Depreciation is EQUAL to the Original Cost)

    What's is the best way to approach this?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Fred Smith
    Guest

    Re: Depreciation Formula

    You will need to surround each calculation with an If statement, as in:

    N3: =if(ad2<=0,"",m3/l3)

    Repeat this for each cell where you want it to be blank once the asset has been
    fully depreciated.

    You will have to create enough rows for the longest life of any asset (eg 10
    years in your example). Once you've created the first row, you should be able to
    simply copy down all the columns.

    Fred

    news:[email protected]...