Conditional Formatting For Multiple Sheets

  1. #1
    Forum Contributor
    Love City, USA

    Thumbs down Conditional Formatting For Multiple Sheets

    This Is something I was looking forward to in 2007, Unfortunately Conditional Formating Is Still Bound To One Sheet... as well as not being able to lock/unlock multiple sheets unless you're running a macro... Still Have to Copy and Paste in Most Instances to get things done on multiple sheets..

  2. #2
    JLatham
    Guest

    RE: Why Not Conditional Formatting For Multiple Sheets?

    Not having tried 2007, perhaps I shouldn't speak too harshly, but...

    From what I keep reading in posts like yours and others, the real end users
    of the world seem to get the impression that more time was spent converting
    it all to a new format that is incompatible with previous versions of Excel,
    is enterprise or web centric in new features it did implement, and some
    almost intiuitively obvious enhancements such as you mentioned have been
    largely ignored.

    What I keep reading is to the effect of "yes, we love the extended
    specifications - more rows, more columns, longer formulas - but the new
    platform is relegating my legacy packages to the Goodwill bin". The
    unfortunate side of it all is that it is definitely too late in the game to
    personally am not looking forward to the headaches I'm already imagining in
    trying to exchange files back and forth between the company I'm with and
    those that will upgrade to 2007 that we communicate with regularly. I know
    that the company I'm with has already made a conscious decision NOT to
    upgrade from 2003 to 2007 until either 2003 becomes unsupported or our major
    customers start demanding everything from us in 2007 format. Harsh side of
    that for us is that they have deeper pockets than we do and the demand could
    come early on after the release of Office 2007. Then we have a choice: make
    a major effort to convert every intra-office package we have to 2007 or run
    in a mixed environment of 2003/2007 setups :-(

    Someone will say "well, why not just use 'save as' an earlier format" and
    I'd have to respond to that one with something like "because my end users
    either aren't that sophisticated or they do not want the inconvenience of
    having to remember to save one way one time and another way at other times -
    they want to just SAVE".

    On the up side? Well, it looks like there'll be a continuing demand for
    those of us in small outfits that act as "the computer guy" - filling
    IT/IS/Help Desk functions in a small organization <g> Job security is a nice
    thing, I suppose.

  3. #3
    JLatham
    Guest

    RE: Why Not Conditional Formatting For Multiple Sheets?

    Workaround for the formatting of multiple sheets part of the problem:

    If you can remember to do this at the start of one of the pages that you are
    getting ready to set up and format in a way that you'd like all, or many, of
    your sheets to have that can't be done in grouped sheet mode, you could
    record a macro while setting up the first (or more likely the 2nd <g>) one
    and then just run it on each subsequent sheet. Then delete the macro when
    you're done?

    As for the lock/unlock multiple sheets - I don't know of any workaround
    other than code/macro.

  4. #4
    USA
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007

    Re: Why Not Conditional Formatting For Multiple Sheets?

    The suggestion to use a macro to do this works great - thanks for the tip! (Would still like multiple sheet conditional formatting, but this saves LOTS of time)