+ Reply to Thread

Using Excel 2000 the same way you would use Quicken or MS Money

Using Excel 2000 the same way you would use Quicken or MS Money

I would like to know if I could set up my Excel program to be used the same way that Quicken or MS money is used to keep track of my checking account. If so could I get step by step details on how to do this?

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007 (Home)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by pauliez
    I would like to know if I could set up my Excel program to be used the same way that Quicken or MS money is used to keep track of my checking account. If so could I get step by step details on how to do this?
    Hi pauliez,

The best thing to do is to buy one of the programs, but if you only want to keep a record of money going in or out with a running balance then try this
    A3 = Cheque number
    B3 = Description
    C3 = Withdrawals
    D3 = Deposits
    E3 = Balance
    E4 = IF(C4=0,SUM(C4:D4),IF(D4=0,D4-C4,D4-C4))
    E5 = IF(AND(C5="",D5=""),"",SUM($D$4:D5)-SUM($C$4:C5)), then drag this one down as far as you like

Hope this helps

oldchippy

I don’t understand your reply. What do you mean by A3, B3? Column A, row 3? Also what do E4 and E5 mean? Can you simplify you info?

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007 (Home)
    I don’t understand your reply. What do you mean by A3, B3? Column A, row 3? Also what do E4 and E5 mean? Can you simplify you info?
    Ok,

A3 is column A row 3, B3 is column B row 3 and so on......
    A3 to E3 are header titles, you could put anything you like to suit yourself
    E4 and E5 are the formulas you need to enter into those cells, after you have entered the one in E5, if you hover the mouse over the bottom right hand corner of the cell the pointer changes to a black cross hair, now click on this corner and with your left mouse button held down, drag the cell downwards as far as you want.

Now you can start entering data into cells A4, B4,C4,D4 and the totals will automatically calculate for you.

Take a look at this link it may help with your learning curve

http://www.fgcu.edu/support/office20...el/basics.html

oldchippy
    Last edited by oldchippy; 10-20-2006 at 04:08 AM.

Thanks oldchippy for your reply. Sorry I haven't gotten back sooner. I set up an Excel spreadsheet according to your instructions and it works fine. This Excel is great. I would like to add columns to the check register. If I do, do I need to change the letters in the formulas to compensate for the extra column? Such as “D” to “E” and so on.

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007 (Home)

Thumbs up

Thanks oldchippy for your reply. Sorry I haven't gotten back sooner. I set up an Excel spreadsheet according to your instructions and it works fine. This Excel is great. I would like to add columns to the check register. If I do, do I need to change the letters in the formulas to compensate for the extra column? Such as “D” to “E” and so on.
    Hi pauliez,

Glad you got it working and yes Excel is a great tool.

If you put more columns in, the formulas will adjust to take account of this, for example if you click on column D (at the top) to highlight the whole column, then right click and select Insert, this will insert a new blank column called D. You will see that the formulas now in column F have changed to take account of this.

If you insert extra rows, just will have to drag the formulas down from the cell above by the small black cross hair again.

oldchippy

Thanks oldchippy. I will try that.

Updat oldchippy. Tried adding columns, and it is still working great. Your right Excell is great. Now is there a way to get it to make lasagna. LOL Are there any sites out there that can teach me more about Excel?

P.S. Did you know that if you use IESpell to check the spelling on this post on this web site it wants to correct your name "oldchippy" to "Lordship". Does the Queen know about that?

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007 (Home)

Thumbs up

When I said Excel was good, I'm not sure it makes lasagna, but you can make some good pie's using the chart wizard.

If you want to find some more Excel training, just type "Excel Training" in Google and you'll find loads, here are a few to carry on with

http://www.internet4classrooms.com/on-line_excel.htm

http://www.gslis.utexas.edu/technolo...ex_basics.html

http://www.extension.iastate.edu/Pages/Excel/terms.html

Enjoy yourself

oldchippy or should I say "Lordship"

Thanks oldchippy for your reply. I will look into the links you gave me. I have experimented with excel in the past with some very good results. I am a movie buff and have a large collection of movies (Tapes, DVD’s, Film) and have set up a system using Excel to keep track of them including keeping them in alphabetic order and using the "Insert comment" feature in each cell to keep all the details about that movie available by just clicking on the cell. Also I am in my late sixties and since I was twelve, any time I heard a good joke I wrote it down. To date my collection has over fifteen thousand jokes (all on bits and scraps of paper) and I have a feeling that Excel will allow me to keep all those jokes in many interlocking categories so that they can be easily accessed by a title, type etc.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information