+ Reply to Thread

Common Entries Between Lists

Common Entries Between Lists

I have two extremely large lists and am looking for a way to quickly find common entries between the lists then input those entries into a seprate list.

Example - Take Common entries ("Company B" & "Company E") between List A & List B and place those entries into List C. I currently have the lists on seperate sheets.

List A
    Company A
    Company B
    CompanyC
    CompanyD
    CompanyE
    CompanyF

List B
    Company 1
    Company 2
    Company B
    Company 3
    Company 4
    Company E

List C
    Company B
    Company E
    Last edited by nielsfogt; 05-04-2007 at 04:44 PM.

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007 (Home)
    See if this helps?
    oldchippy
    -------------

Blessed are those who can give without remembering and take without forgetting

If you are happy with the help you have received, please click the <--- STAR icon on the left - Thanks.

Click here >>> Top Excel links for beginners to Experts

Forum Rules >>>Please don't forget to read these

Forum Contributor

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by nielsfogt
    I have two extremely large lists and am looking for a way to quickly find common entries between the lists then input those entries into a seprate list.

Example - Take Common entries ("Company B" & "Company E") between List A & List B and place those entries into List C. I currently have the lists on seperate sheets.

List A
    Company A
    Company B
    CompanyC
    CompanyD
    CompanyE
    CompanyF

List B
    Company 1
    Company 2
    Company B
    Company 3
    Company 4
    Company E

List C
    Company B
    Company E
    Also see following attached file.
    Attached Files Attached Files

these are both very helpful thank you! one question....is there a way to take the actual text from the new list C (IE - Company B and Company E) so that I can manage the list data....in other words, so that you are not dealing with the formula's but the actual text...the reason is that I will actually be taking this new list of common entires and going through this process a second time with another list.

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007 (Home)
    Quote Originally Posted by nielsfogt
    these are both very helpful thank you! one question....is there a way to take the actual text from the new list C (IE - Company B and Company E) so that I can manage the list data....in other words, so that you are not dealing with the formula's but the actual text...the reason is that I will actually be taking this new list of common entires and going through this process a second time with another list.
    If you copy column A on page 3, then paste special > values (into say column C), you can then select column C that will then allow you to sort column C in alphabetical order - delete any blank rows from column C.

final issue

Old Chippy the formula you provided seems to work well...the other doesnt appear to function in the version of open office im using(dont have excel at work...)anyway....i have attached a file that shows my final issue....

when I do my second sort i am comparing multiple columns....you will see on sheet1 there are 3 columns (last, first, accountid) and sheet2 has 2 columns(last,first). I can combine the first and last name for matching purposes, but I would like for the account id to be shown on my new list on sheet3....is there an easy alteration to the formula to do this?

Thanks!!!!
    Attached Files Attached Files

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007 (Home)
    Glad it worked for you. If you put the following formula on Sheet 3 in cell B1

=VLOOKUP(A1,sheet1!A1:C450,2,FALSE) this will match the first name in column 2

then put this in C1

=VLOOKUP(A1,sheet1!A1:C450,3,FALSE) this will bring in the ID number.

Where no match is found #N/A appears, if you need to show a blank instead, then modify the formula like so

=IF(A1="","",VLOOKUP(A1,sheet1!A1:C450,2,FALSE))

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information