+ Reply to Thread

Help Making this Process Shorter. Excel 2007

Help Making this Process Shorter. Excel 2007

I will try to explain this as simple as I can...

I am compiling an Excel 2007 file that contains football statistics. I have created a worksheet that contains the columns for: Team, Player, [Jersey] Number, and Position. Here is a link to a JPEG that shows how it is set up:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2397/...5f2795d1_o.jpg

What I am wanting to do is this:

On either a separate worksheet or a separate workbook file all-together, I want to be able to type either: Just the player's team AND jersey number, and have Excel automatically fill in the respective position and player name; OR I would l like to be able to type in the player's name, and have excel automatically fill the cells for his respective jersey number AND position AND team.

How would I go about to do this? I apologize that I am totally green to Excel, and I've been bustin' my **** to learn as much about Excel as I can in just the past three weeks.

PS: I am including, below, a screenshot of the actual worksheet, where the information is shown. It may help! Please feel free to email me directly at [email protected] or reply to this thread. This project is becoming very large, and it is an on-going project that has no definite end, so I really need a way to ease the data-entry part of this.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2210/...fe9523ea_o.jpg

Forum Moderator - RIP Richard Buttrey's Avatar
    MS-Off Ver
    Office 365, Excel for Windows 2010 & Excel for Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by LieDetector
    I will try to explain this as simple as I can...

I am compiling an Excel 2007 file that contains football statistics. I have created a worksheet that contains the columns for: Team, Player, [Jersey] Number, and Position. Here is a link to a JPEG that shows how it is set up:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2397/...5f2795d1_o.jpg

What I am wanting to do is this:

On either a separate worksheet or a separate workbook file all-together, I want to be able to type either: Just the player's team AND jersey number, and have Excel automatically fill in the respective position and player name; OR I would l like to be able to type in the player's name, and have excel automatically fill the cells for his respective jersey number AND position AND team.

How would I go about to do this? I apologize that I am totally green to Excel, and I've been bustin' my **** to learn as much about Excel as I can in just the past three weeks.

PS: I am including, below, a screenshot of the actual worksheet, where the information is shown. It may help! Please feel free to email me directly at [email protected] or reply to this thread. This project is becoming very large, and it is an on-going project that has no definite end, so I really need a way to ease the data-entry part of this.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2210/...fe9523ea_o.jpg

Hi,

VLOOKUP() is what you need. First add a helper column to the 4 column Player Roster Breakdown. Make this a new column A.
    In A4 enter:

Please Login or Register  to view this content.
    Then copy this down the whole of the new helper column A, and finish off by converting the formulae to values with Edit..Copy..Edit..PasteSpecial..Values.

Now give a name to the range A4:E...whatever, say 'Players'
    You can hide this helper column A if you wish for presentation purposes.

For your first requirement choose two cells where you want to enter the Players Team and Jersey Number - let's say G1 and H1 but they can be anywhere, same sheet, different sheet or even different workbook.

Now in the cell where you want the player position to be shown enter:
    and in the cell where you want the player name to appear:
    For your second requirement enter the Players name in say I1. Now in the cell where you want to see the Jersey number enter the following:

And in the cell where you want the position enter:
    and for the cell where you want the team enter:
    HTH

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information