+ Reply to Thread

Excel 2003 file does not work right in Excel 2007

MS-Off Ver
    2003; 2007

Excel 2003 file does not work right in Excel 2007

I know a student at the U.S. Air Force Academy (USAFA) who was home over the holidays. I gave him two Excel files that work for me in both Excel 2003 (on my XP computer) and Excel 2007 (on my Vista notebook PC). Both these files are templates for financail calculations that I downloaded from Microsoft some time ago. They were download in Excel 97-2003 format but, again, work fine in my Excel 2007.

My friend, the student, had his laptop with, a computer issued to him by the USAFA; it has Office 2007 installed. Neither of the Excel templates worked right in his computer. The templates are loan/mortgage amortization calculators. The user should be able to enter such variables as principal amount, interest rate, length of loan, etc. and the monthly payments are instantly calculated. We simply could not change any of the variables on his computer. Attempting to do so caused an error message to appear. I do not recall the exact wording of the message.

I wonder whether a security setting in his computer is the cause; USAFA maintains tight security with regard to all computers. Specifically, I wonder whether he needs to go to Excel Options, Trust Center, and change a setting. If so, I'm not sure what setting that would be.

Can someone suggest a solution?

MS-Off Ver
    office 97 ,2007
    i think we need to know the error message!

MS-Off Ver
    2003; 2007
    thanks for your reply.

Student has returned to the academy, so I can't see his computer now. I emailed him and told him the files work in my Excel 2007. I also downloaded a loan amortization template from Microsoft that was in Excel 2007 format and emailed it to him. I asked him to try it and let me know whether it works on his computer. If not, I'll try to get some detail on the error message from him.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information