+ Reply to Thread

matching dates and currency exchange rates

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007

matching dates and currency exchange rates

Hi all,

First I apologize for not knowing the right terminology to concisely explain what I'm trying to do.

Here is the problem that I would like to use Excel (2007) to help me solve.

My website takes payments in Euro, but I do my taxes in Swedish. The Swedish tax office requires me to use actual EUR to SEK exchange rate on the day the sale took place.

I can get a list of the exchange rates for each day of 2008. Rather than going through the thousands of sales on my Paypal report and entering the exchange rate manually for each individual date, I would like to create a function (?) that will check the date of sale, find the matching date in the table of exchange rates, and then enter the applicable exchange rate in the correct cell. Because I have more than one sale per day, or sometimes no sales at all for a day or days, it's not so simple as just putting the columns of dates next to each other.

If Excel can help me automate matching the dates and exchange rates for each sale, it will be easy for me to do the rest of what I need to do (calculate VAT, etc.).

I don't even know if it is possible for Excel to do this, but I'm hoping that the knowledgeable people here on the forum can point me in the right direction.

Many thanks in advance,
    Lori

MS-Off Ver

Re: matching dates and currency exchange rates

Sounds like you want to investigate the usage of the VLOOKUP function.

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007

Re: matching dates and currency exchange rates

Thanks for the tip! It's a huge help just having a keyword to search for in the help.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information