+ Reply to Thread

Can pivot tables be set up to count only a result from a formula & ignore formula?

MS-Off Ver

Question Can pivot tables be set up to count only a result from a formula & ignore formula?

There is a column in my spreadsheet that contains a formula in each cell to return a value based on information in another column. Example: If I place a number in Column B (Score), then Column C (Category) will show a corresponding letter in the cell. If Score is blank then Category is also blank.

Currently when I try to run a pivot table to count the number of times that an entry is showing in the Category (C) column , it returns the number of cells that have the formulas also. Is there a way to set up the pivot table to only count the number of "A", "B", "C" showing in the Category (C) column and not the forumlas? The only way I have found to do it is to remove the formulas in the cells that should be blank when Score (B) is blank. I know that the simplest way is to run the pivot report from the Score (B) but I need to know how many "A's", "B's", and "C's" for each month (in column A).

I am using Excel 2003.

Thanks for your continued help,
    dcoates

MS-Off Ver
    2003:2010

Re: Can pivot tables be set up to count only a result from a formula & ignore formula

Maybe posting a sample workbook would be easiest.. so we can "play" with the same thing you are seeing.
    Where there is a will there are many ways.

If you are happy with the results, please add to the contributor's reputation by clicking the reputation icon (star icon) below left corner

Please also mark the thread as Solved once it is solved. Check the FAQ's to see how.

MS-Off Ver

Re: Can pivot tables be set up to count only a result from a formula & ignore formula

I have tried to create an example. I hope this helps.
    Attached Files Attached Files

MS-Off Ver
    2003:2010

Not sure if this is an acceptable solution.. but.. I don't think that is easily obtainable with the pivot tables.. as its Count function counts all cells with something in it, including formula blanks.. so maybe you can use a created table with Sumproduct() formula to count the occurances...

See attached.. under your current Pivot table.
    Attached Files Attached Files

MS-Off Ver

Unhappy Re: Can pivot tables be set up to count only a result from a formula & ignore formula

Thank you for trying. I will continue to see what I can do to get the results I need. Thought it was worth a shot as I had it set up.

Thank you again,
    dcoates

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information