+ Reply to Thread

Find & Match

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003

Find & Match

Is there a function in excel where you can find a value that matches one you are looking for and once that value is found you can place another value in a corrosponding cell along that row. Much like that of Vlookup, but rather than finding a cell value along a row you are placing a value along the row?

Valued Forum Contributor tlafferty's Avatar
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010, Excel 2013 Customer Preview

Re: Find & Match

Not sure I understand what you mean. Do you mean, is it possible to enter a formula that will replace a value in original data once it has found a match?
    If your question has been satisfactorily addressed, please consider marking it solved. Click the Thread Tools dropdown and select Mark thread as solved.
    Also, you might want to add to the user's reputation by clicking the star icon in the lower left corner of the post with the answer- it's why we do what we do...

Thomas Lafferty
    Analyst/Programmer

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003

Hi, thanks for that.

Not replace but what create a 'list in effect' once a match has been made.

What I am trying to do is I have a list of say 10 Value numbered 1 to 10, I want excel to look through a large data base I have and match the values, and once they are matched I want it to place a number in a cell next to the value so it is listed.

Not the best explanation,

But say I have values:

Jim
    John
    James

I want excel to look trhough the database and find these names and place a 1 in the cell next to Jim in the database, a 2 next to John in the database and a 3 next to James in the database, is this possible?

Thanks a lot

MS-Off Ver

Still sounds as if you're trying to get Excel to modify the data. Can you post a sample of the workbook and let me have a look? Also, please clearly indicate in the workbook exactly what you'd like to see. To attach a workbook, click Go Advanced, click the paperclip icon and browse to your file and upload it.

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003

Hi,

Thanks for looking at this. I have made up a little example. I have two pages in the workbook. 'DUMP' and 'Database'. What I am needing to do is change the Names in the Dump File. Once these are in the file I need excel to look into the database for me and find those names. Once the names are matched in the database I need excel to insert the number that is next to the name in the 'Dump' sheet next to the name in the Database sheet, so I can make a list from there?

Hope this makes sense!
    Attached Files Attached Files

MS-Off Ver

OK - still not clear about what order you are working in. Questions follow:

What does this mean?
    What I am needing to do is change the Names in the Dump File. Once these are in the file
    How are you wanting to "change the names" in the dump file?
    You seem to be saying that somehow, you will be putting data in the Dump File, then expecting the Dump File entries to modify the data in the Database tab by inserting numbers from the Dump File tab. If that's the case, the formula will only work until you change the Dump File entries for new ones. If you use for example a VLOOKUP formula in your Database tab to refer to what's on your Dump File tab, once you change the Dump File entries, you will be left with errors (#N/A) in your Database.

If I understand you correctly, you will need VBA coding to locate the values in the Database and to permanently insert hard coded numbers by the appropriate names.

Let me know if that's what you mean.

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003

Hi,

I will be manually inserting data into the Dump File. Thats correct what I will need to be doing is using the Dump File entries to modify the data in the Database tab by inserting numbers from the Dump File tab. What will I need to be doing for VBA coding, is this a difficult process?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information