+ Reply to Thread

Can you insert a letter/number in multiple cells?

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003

Can you insert a letter/number in multiple cells?

Hello everyone.

Since I dont quite know what to search for to get my answer I gave up on that and went on the just asking the question.

Title of this topic pretty much states my question but if you are in sure of what I mean, let me explain.

I have a excel document with around 4000 rows where as in colum A, there are article numbers for all the new pet products my company will sell very shortly.

To get these numbers into our storage program we import it via the program (ofcourse)..
    But, and here is my problem, the document I have is for our Danish department, so, in order for me to use this document for our Swedish department I have to insert a sign (Å) infront of every article number and that will take quite a while if I have to do it manually.

So my question is as following: Can I insert a sign (Å) into all 4000 lines at the same time?

Thanks in advance
    // Mikkel Christensen
    Last edited by ChristensenM; 06-12-2009 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Problem solved

MS-Off Ver
    2003:2010

Re: Can you insert a letter/number in multiply cells?

Temporarily, in an adjacent column use a formula that will concatenate the two items.

e.g. So in B1, enter =Å&A1 where A1 is your first number and copy down the column

Then select Column B and copy it... go to A1 and go to Edit|Paste Special and select Values.

Then click Ok.

Now you can delete the temporary column.
    Where there is a will there are many ways.

If you are happy with the results, please add to the contributor's reputation by clicking the reputation icon (star icon) below left corner

Please also mark the thread as Solved once it is solved. Check the FAQ's to see how.

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003

Re: Can you insert a letter/number in multiple cells?

Hello NBVC and thanks for your answer.

I couldn't quite get it working at first but I got it working.
    I had to use:
    ="Å"&A1
    Where A1 was the article number..
    So I just had to add the " "

But I dont think I would have figured it out without your help, so thank you for that.

// Mikkel Christensen

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003

There is a quicker way of adding symbols/letters before a number in a cell range. I just had a spreadsheet where I had four-digit codes that needed a specific letter in front of each, plus leading zeroes if there were less than four digits.

To do this, I highlighted the range, right-clicked, and chose Format Cells. With the Format Cells window open, I chose the Numbers tab. Under Category I chose Custom.

There is a typeable field, called Type. There, I entered the letter I wanted (C), followed by the format I wanted the digits in (0000 to see all four digits). Thus, a cell previously named only 4 became C0004.

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003

Is there a function in excel where you can find a value that matches one you are looking for and once that value is found you can place another value in a corrosponding cell along that row. Much like that of Vlookup, but rather than finding a cell value along a row you are placing a value along the row.

MS-Off Ver
    2003:2010

Your post does not comply with Rule 2 of our Forum RULES. Don't post a question in the thread of another member -- start your own thread. If you feel it's particularly relevant, provide a link to the other thread.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information