+ Reply to Thread

Discrepancy between data analysis regression equation and linear trendline equation

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007

Discrepancy between data analysis regression equation and linear trendline equation

Hiya

The equation and R2 value produced by doing a linear regression in the data analysis add on pack are different to the equation and R2 value produced by adding a linear trendline to a scatterplot of the same data. I can change it on the chart using More trendline options, set intercept, but I wondered why the equations are different (and which one is right!)?

Many thanks

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007

Re: Discrepancy between data analysis regression equation and linear trendline equati

aaahh I've solved this one. It was probably just me being daft. The last data point in the seriese on the y axis was missing off the scatter plot chart. However, a lot of students got exactly the same wrong chart / equation, so I wonder if there may be a problem with Excel not picking up all of the data all of the time, rather than mass clumsiness?

MS-Off Ver
    2003, 2010

Re: Discrepancy between data analysis regression equation and linear trendline equati

If you're talking about the R2 value for a regression with a constrained intercept, see http://www.curvefit.com/linear_regression.htm
    Entia non sunt multiplicanda sine necessitate

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007

Cheers shg!

It turned out to just be some sort off data inputting problem - probably user error - but that site has a lot of nice information thank you x

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information