+ Reply to Thread

Static Date Stamp without using a macro?

MS-Off Ver
    Office 365

Static Date Stamp without using a macro?

Hello,

I have a spreadsheet that multiple associates use to track the types of calls they recieve. Each day they email me these reports and I combine them into a single, weekly report. To get an idea of what the volumes are each day, I wanted to create a formula that would stamp the date in column H when a value is entered into column B. I want this date stamp to be static so that I can combine the spreadsheets later without worrying that these date stamps will change.

I have seen the VB solution and while it does work, it triggers the Macro warning when the sheet is opened and we don't want to change the level of macro security. I tried using this formula:

=IF(B2="","",IF(H2="",NOW(),H2))

It works if I go to Tools, Options, Calculations Tab, and click the check box for Iteration. But when I completely close Excel and open it again, the Iteration box is no longer checked and the formula doesn't work.

Here are my questions:

Is there a way to have the sheet provide a static date stamp without using VB solution or macro? Can we get Excel to retain the Iteration flag so that it doesn't reset each day when you open Excel up again? Is there another solution that works seamlessly to provide this static date stamp without any input from the users and still allows other formulas to run?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

-Tom

MS-Off Ver
    Darth Office 2010

Re: Static Date Stamp without using a macro?

Never come across a non-vba solution that really works.

Dom
    "May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the crotch of the person who screws up your day and may their arms be too short to scratch..."

Use code tags when posting your VBA code: [code] Your code here [/code]

Remember, saying thanks only takes a second or two. Click the little star to give some Rep if you think an answer deserves it.

MS-Off Ver
    Office 365

Is there a way to keep the iteration flag set when closing and reopening Excel?

-Tom

MS-Off Ver
    Darth Office 2010

Iteration is an application level setting like Calculation and is controlled by the first workbook that you open during an Excel session. The only way to control it consistently is by using VBA again I think.

Dom

MS-Off Ver
    Office 365

What are the options for keeping that Macro security warning from appearing every time? How does a macro become trusted so users do not need to adjust their security level? It's becoming increasingly apparent that I'll have to go back to the VBA solution.

-Tom

MS-Off Ver
    2003, 2010

You can purchase a code-signing certificate from VeriSign or another provider, and then sign your code. The first time users open the file, they will be prompted whether to trust you, either just this once or forever. If they trust you forever, your macros will always be enabled.
    Entia non sunt multiplicanda sine necessitate

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information